In today’s hyper-competitive business environment, the boundaries between aggressive marketing and anticompetitive practice can blur. We know where to draw the line.
For more than 60 years, Arent Fox has helped clients from around the globe resolve complex antitrust problems. Our experience spans the spectrum of federal and state antitrust practice: litigation, government investigations, mergers and acquisitions, cartel enforcement, matters involving the intersection of intellectual property and antitrust laws, and pricing and distribution issues. Our antitrust lawyers have successfully represented clients in a myriad of industries, including health care, pharmaceuticals, banking and finance, insurance, sports, telecommunications and Internet, computers and consumer electronics, bookselling and publishing, energy, specialty chemicals, mining, and food distribution.
Our experience in antitrust law and regulation combined with our extensive industry knowledge enables us to provide our clients with unparalleled insight and effective counseling. We work closely with clients to develop tailored, cost-effective strategies for the antitrust challenges that they face. We staff our antitrust matters efficiently in order to keep costs to a minimum and we believe our track record of success speaks for itself.
Highlights of recent matters include:
- Advising a financial counseling member organization on day-to-day interactions with both members and the financial services sector, including exchanges of information, joint negotiations, and collectively developed process improvement
- Defending one of the world’s leading commercial insurers against Sherman Act and RICO claims in a multidistrict class action
- Defended the nation’s largest provider of long-term care pharmacy services against Sherman Act and California Section 17200 class action claims
- Defended the nation’s largest provider of anesthesiology services against claims under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and Section 7 of the Clayton Act
- Represented a physician’s radiology group in antitrust suit alleging a horizontal conspiracy to boycott competitors in market for radiology services
- Advised a trade association in the European steel market on strategies for strengthening its market position within the constraints of EU and US rules on joint purchasing, joint distribution, and exchanges of information
- Represented large telecommunications company in dispute relating to divestiture of largest Internet backbone by order of European antitrust regulator. Case involved proceedings in domestic arbitration and federal district court and before the European Commission, Department of Justice, Federal Communications Commission, and US Congress
- Represented a satellite operator in extensive antitrust litigation involving allegations of group boycott and refusals to deal involving telecommunications companies in over 160 countries
- Defended one of the world’s leading energy companies in private lawsuits arising out of a European Commission cartel investigation
- Defended a major brand name pharmaceutical company in a landmark Sherman Act jury trial
- Represented a major generic pharmaceutical company in an FTC investigation and multidistrict class action litigation arising out of a so-called “reverse payment” settlement of Hatch-Waxman Act patent litigation
- Represented a large gold mining company in antitrust suit challenging gold hedging and alleged attempts to manipulate gold prices
- Defended a Russian mining company against cartel claims in a multidistrict class action
- Represented universities and college sports conference in efforts to reform the college football postseason bowl system
- Prosecuted price discrimination claims under the Robinson-Patman Act on behalf of a food distributor, including a two-week trial
- Prosecuting exclusive dealing and monopolization claims on behalf of automotive chemicals manufacturer against a competitor
- Defended an electronics supplier against predatory pricing claims under Section 2 of the Sherman Act
- Representing the college bookstore industry in litigation of price discrimination claims against major academic publishers
- Representing trade association affected by government’s e-book investigation and enforcement action
Smart In Your World.
We strive, in every matter we handle, to engage the issue from all angles. To bring fresh thinking to common legal matters and uncommon invention to the most complicated problems.