Anne M. Murphy
With a unique portfolio of industry leadership experience, Anne provides strategic and nuanced legal advice to senior management, governing boards, and investors on health sector mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, facility closings and reconfigurations, service innovations, joint ventures, major contractual initiatives, and other significant enterprise events. Anne also counsels on enterprise risk and fiduciary duties.
Drawing on her decades of combined senior leadership in health care organizations, government and law enforcement bodies, and law firms, Anne represents health care systems, academic medical centers, clinician organizations, health service companies and their investors, health care innovation initiatives, and ACOs and other health value based service delivery vehicles. She is called upon by clients to address novel and high profile matters, and regularly counsels clients on emerging health care delivery models in areas such as value-based purchasing, behavioral health, aging in place, health information and technology, and telemedicine.
Anne has spent her entire career practicing health care law. She has served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel at Rush University Medical Center, Deputy General Counsel to the American Medical Association, General Counsel and Chief Ethics Officer to both the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Illinois Health Facilities Planning Board, and Senior Counsel to the Illinois Attorney General. She has also served as a partner in large law firm health departments, where she has held numerous leadership positions.
Anne is an engaged member of the health care community. She serves on the Harvard School of Public Health Policy and Management Executive Council, and recently completed her maximum permitted term on the board of directors for the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. She is on the board of directors for Health Care Without Walls, a charitable corporation providing free health care to homeless women, where she chairs the governance committee.
Anne is an active member of the health law bar. She is currently on the Steering Committee for the Boston Bar Association Health Care Section. Anne is a long-time active member of the American Health Lawyers Association, for which she frequently speaks and writes. She is former President of the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys and of the Public Health Law Association. She is a member of Bloomberg BNA's Health Care Law Editorial Advisory Board.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Anne frequently speaks and writes about relevant and timely health law topics. Anne’s recent publications include:
- “Governance Oversight in Challenging Times: Sustaining Healthcare Board Education Remains Imperative,” with Liz Sweeney, The Governance Institute’s E-Briefings, September 2020
Anne’s recent speaking engagements include:
“Challenges and Opportunities in Behavioral Healthcare,” Boston Bar Association webinar, September 23, 2020
- “Getting to Yes: Executing a Successful Campaign to Launch a High Profile Health Sector Initiative,” 2020 AHLA Annual In-House Counsel Conference, July 16, 2020, (scheduled for virtual delivery)
- “Practical Advice for Implementing a Telehealth Initiative in an Integrated Health Care Delivery Setting,” 2019 AHLA Annual Meeting, June 25, 2019
- “Advanced Due Diligence Considerations in Emerging Health Sector Markets,” 2019 AHLA Health Care Transactions Conference, May 1, 2019
- “Telemedicine Today – Legislative Trends, Industry Insight, and Provider Considerations,” Boston Bar Association, September 26, 2018
- “Senior Living and Care Opportunities and Integration,” Massachusetts Health & Hospital Association Webinar, September 11, 2018
- “Caring for Elderly Patients: Best Practices and Innovations,” Massachusetts Health & Hospital Association Conference, June 22, 2018
- “Aging in America,” The Atlantic Summit on Health Care, April 9, 2018
Life Beyond the Law
Anne grew up on the North Shore of Boston, and met her husband Jim while in law school at Boston University. With their two children now in college, Jim and Anne are relishing their empty-nester and city-dweller status in Boston.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
Boston University School of LawJD,cum laude, Articles Editor, American Journal of Law & MedicineBowdoin CollegeBA,cum laude