Anne M. Murphy
Anne serves as a trusted advisor on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and significant construction projects for health care systems, academic medical centers, and health care provider organizations.
Drawing on her unique combination of leadership experiences in private practice, health care organizations, and government service, Anne actively manages transactional, regulatory, litigation, risk, compliance, and accreditation issues. Additionally, Anne counsels clients on Enterprise Risk Management, joint ventures, and emerging health care delivery models in areas such as value-based purchasing, behavioral health, aging in place, health information and technology, and telemedicine.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Anne was a Partner in the Boston office of a New England law firm and a Senior Vice President and General Counsel at a large academic medical center located in Chicago. Before that, she served in private and public sector positions, including as Chief Counsel to the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Anne is an active member in the health care industry, contributing on the board of several organizations, including the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. She also serves as an executive council member to the Harvard School of Public Health Policy and Management.
Additionally, Anne is an active member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys. She is also a member of Bloomberg BNA's Health Care Law Editorial Advisory Board.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Anne frequently speaks and writes about relevant and timely health law topics.
Anne’s recent speaking engagements include:
- “Practical Advice for Implementing a Telehealth Initiative in an Integrated Health Care Delivery Setting,” 2019 AHLA Annual Meeting, June 25, 2019
- “Advanced Due Diligence Considerations in Emerging Health Sector Markets,” 2019 AHLA Health Care Transactions Conference, May 1, 2019
- “Telemedicine Today – Legislative Trends, Industry Insight, and Provider Considerations,” Boston Bar Association, September 26, 2018
- “Senior Living and Care Opportunities and Integration,” Massachusetts Health & Hospital Association Webinar, September 11, 2018
- “Caring for Elderly Patients: Best Practices and Innovations,” Massachusetts Health & Hospital Association Conference, June 22, 2018
- “Aging in America,” The Atlantic Summit on Health Care, April 9, 2018
Life Beyond the Law
Anne grew up on the North Shore of Boston, and met her husband Jim while in law school at Boston University. With their two children now in college, Jim and Anne are relishing their empty-nester and city-dweller return to Boston. (The black lab, however, remains somewhat skeptical.)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
Boston University School of LawJD,cum laude, Articles Editor, American Journal of Law & MedicineBowdoin CollegeBA,cum laude