Claudia D. Hartleben
Claudia provides client-centered, practical advice to global companies on a wide range of international trade issues. She recently secured the lowest antidumping duty margin of all respondents on behalf of an Italian steel producer, allowing the company to continue exporting to the US market. Claudia closely follows global trade policy issues to counsel companies on managing trade risks, including new import tariffs, AD/CVD orders, compliance with economic sanctions, and other trade enforcement efforts.
Claudia also represents private and sovereign clients in international arbitration matters, with an emphasis on investor-state disputes. She is most effective in partnering with witnesses and experts to carefully develop the facts, and brings to bear excellent case management skills. Her experience includes matters in the oil and gas, mining, and real estate industries. Claudia has worked on ICSID, ICC, and ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitrations.
Claudia’s pro bono work includes representation of asylum-seekers, including conducting front-line interviews and counseling to detained migrants through Arent Fox’s partnership with RAICES. Locally, she is a regular volunteer at the DC Bar Landlord-Tenant Resource Center at the DC Superior Court.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Claudia was an associate in the Washington, DC office of an international law firm. Her practice was comprised of international trade and investor-State arbitration matters.
After law school, Claudia served as a law clerk to Chief Judge Fernando Gaitan, Jr., at the US District Court of the Western District of Missouri.
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia, Member of Board of Directors (’14-’15)
- American University L.L.M. International Arbitration Moot Court Competition, Head Coach (’13-’15)
- Co-Educational Director at National Hispanic Institute, 2015 Northeast Great Debate at Villanova University
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Speaker, “Updates on Dispute Resolution Under USMCA,” Arent Fox and Sánchez Devanny Webinar, September 2020
- Speaker, “Obligaciones de los Estados frente a los inversores Extranjeros y a la Propia Población: Respuestas de los Tribunales Arbitrales,” Séptima Competencia de Arbitraje Internacional de Inversión, May 2020
- Speaker, “Delivering on the Promise of International Arbitration: How Can Parties Obtain the Value and Efficiency that International Commercial Arbitration Is Supposed to Provide?,” Greenberg Traurig, October 16, 2019
- Speaker, “International Arbitration: Friend or Foe of Corporations?,” American University Business Law Review’s Symposium, February 12, 2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
American University, Washington College of LawJD,2009University of IllinoisBS,Political Science with Honors,2005