With a background in intellectual property, marketing, and trade practice regulations, Dan helps clients understand and mitigate risk as they develop and launch new products and services, expand into new markets, and engage with consumers in-store and online.
Dan advises clients on a variety of advertising and marketing issues, including:
- Developing advertising claims and substantiation;
- Regulation of false and misleading advertising by the US Federal Trade Commission and the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau of the US Treasury Department;
- Influencers, endorsements, and testimonials;
- Sweepstakes and promotions; and
- Advertising on social media.
He has handled numerous successful advertising matters before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau and the National Advertising Review Board, with a focus on consumer electronics, telecommunications, and cosmetics.
Dan also helps clients distribute heavily-regulated products, navigate complex trade regulations, and manage commercial relationships, including advising clients on:
- The manufacture, import, and distribution of alcohol beverages;
- Anti-counterfeiting strategies;
- Promotional and distribution agreements;
- Escheat and abandoned property laws;
- Loyalty programs and gift cards;
- Commercial co-venture agreements;
- E-commerce platforms; and
- Minimum Advertised Price policies.
As an intellectual property associate, Dan advises clients on trademark and copyright matters. In his trademark work, Dan advises clients on trademark clearance, prosecution, and infringements. In his copyright work, Dan focuses on infringement of digital works, such as streaming video content and copyright in computer software. He has handled several UDRP proceedings and recovered infringing domain names and social media handles for clients.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Dan served as legislative correspondent and deputy press secretary in the Office of US Senator Jeanne Shaheen.