David draws on multiple experiences overseas and previous positions with the US Government and the United Nations to find creative, multi-forum solutions for his clients.
David leads a practice focused on emerging democracies in the Middle East, Africa, South Asia and Latin America. He specializes in public international law, transnational litigation, foreign direct investment, US export control and economic sanctions and rule of law matters. He represents US government contractors, NGOs and intergovernmental organizations. He also represents several foreign governments in the Middle East, North Africa, and Latin America. In addition, he has assisted foreign nationals in a variety of legal matters, including criminal and civil cases, sanctions, political asylum, and refugee proceedings.
David has written articles on foreign affairs issues in a variety of publications, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Politico and The Hill, where he is currently a foreign policy contributor (links to articles are below). David also appears frequently on CNN, Fox News, the BBC and other news networks to discuss foreign policy topics (featured appearances linked below).
- The World Bank recently hired a team led by David for its COVID-19 crisis response for sovereign governments, including the governments of Brazi, Peru, Haiti and Philippines. The legal team worked with governments in emerging markets to provide strategic advice on the pandemic’s impact on public private partnerships (PPPs), across a broad array of industry sectors. David headed up efforts by local lawyers in various countries to reform and restructure large transportation and infrastructure PPPs, while working closely with The World Bank, Ministries of Finance, and national PPP units.
- Leads a large project with former US military officers to implement nationwide reform to the military and defense sectors of a Middle Eastern country, including the creation of a national security council, counter-terrorism center, and disarmament programs.
- Led the legal effort for the Commercial Bank of Zimbabwe to resolve a pre-penalty notice issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the amount of $386 million. The penalty was reduced to zero and the bank was issued a cautionary letter.
- Represents Libya's sovereign wealth funds on legal matters, including in negotiations with the UN Security Council relating to its blocked assets. He led a global team of lawyers which assist the sovereign wealth funds with transactional matters including strategic acquisitions and the legal transfer of portfolio companies and other assets.
- Represents the Kurdistan Regional Government of Iraq (KRG) on public international law matters and led a global team that provides advice on legal matters and government relations.
- Serves as legal counsel to the Kurdistan Regional Government on project finance matters. He helped draft the law on public borrowing, which was enacted by the Kurdistan Region Parliament, and he successfully assisted the KRG with its first ever sovereign debt bond offering.
- Represents the Government of Haiti in the United States and assists the Caribbean nation with foreign investment and project finance, as well as in discussions with the Development Finance Corporation (DFC).
- Represented the Libyan rebels in 2011 and the National Transitional Counsel of Libya (NTC) after the peaceful protests in Libya began. During the revolution that ensued, David led the legal team that helped the NTC convince the US State Department to recognize it as the sole legitimate government of Libya. He was also instrumental in helping the NTC, in coordination with the US and UK Governments, to unfreeze $1.5 Billion USD in frozen Gaddafi assets abroad so that they could be transferred to Libya during the humanitarian crisis of the Summer of 2011. He later served as the US legal counsel to the first democratic government of Libya and then to each successive UN-recognized government thereafter.
- Advised the Government of Haiti on foreign direct investment and helped it prepare for engagement with OPIC (now DFC) on public infrastructure projects.
- Advised the Government of El Salvador on legal and policy matters related to US-El Salvador relations and led a team that assisted El Salvador in the US.
- Helped create and serves as legal counsel to a non-profit organization made up of large agribusinesses in Guatemala that is dedicated to developing the economy in Guatemala, known as the Guatemala Rural Opportunities for Work Organization ("G.R.O.W.").
- Represents Barron Collier Companies, the largest private landowner and one of the largest developers in the state of Florida.
- Helped found both the Iraq Business Initiative at the US Chamber of Commerce and the US-Kurdistan Business Council, which advises US companies on investing in Iraq. He currently serves as the President of the US-Kurdistan Business Council.
- Leads the legal efforts for one of the largest American franchises in Russia and other former Soviet States and has successfully helped them navigate legal challenges by local partners and a combination that has enabled them to embark on an aggressive expansion of their business in the region.
- Represents a moderate pro-democracy group in another Middle East nation, that is supported by the US government. David provides this group with advice on public international law issues.
- Assisting the government of another Arab Spring country with stolen asset recovery matters, using multi-forum solutions.
- Represents the government of a Sub-Saharan African nation on legal matters related to the United Nations.
- Advises a US company that is a leading investor in the energy, oil, and mineral sectors in Iraq on legal and regulatory compliance and on market entry.
- Defended the Embassy of Iraq in a litigation matter. He worked closely with both the Embassy and the Iraqi Commercial Office on investment matters in Iraq.
- Represented the largest bank in Iraq on investment and policy matters.
- Assisted a large US government contractor on operations and investments in Afghanistan and on policy matters related to Afghanistan.
- Represented the transitional government of Madagascar on public international law matters.
David previously served as the US Department of State's Rule of Law Coordinator for Iraq at the US Embassy in Baghdad, during the height of the war in Iraq. In that position, he worked directly with the Chief Justice of Iraq and Iraqi ministries to help rebuild the legal system. He traveled across the country overseeing the State Department’s justice assistance programs and managed a number of large US government contracts and non-profit grants. He was awarded the Department of State's Superior Honor Award for his work.
In addition to his position with the Department of State, David draws on his previous experience as an aide to the Senate Judiciary Committee and a staff aide to several Presidential and Congressional campaigns to augment his practice. David was an outside foreign policy advisor to President Obama's campaign in 2008. Before entering private practice, David worked for the United Nations in Turkey. He has also served on the board of directors of USA for UNHCR, which supports the UN Refugee Agency. He is the founder and current President of the US-Kurdistan Business Council.
David’s memberships include:
- Leadership Circle, Foreign Policy for America
- President, US Kurdistan Business Council
- Former member, board of directors, USA for UNHCR
Publications, Presentations, & Recognitions
David’s publications include:
- Author, “Biden needs a failed states strategy,” The Hill, January 1, 2021
- Author, “How Trump and Biden contrast on foreign policy,” The Hill, October 22, 2020
- Author, “Will coronavirus help ISIS?” The Hill, May 19, 2020
- Author, “5 most important trends to watch in foreign policy in 2020,” The Hill, January 2, 2020
- Author, “The ‘big stuff’ in Ukraine ,” The Hill, December 2, 2019
- Author, “Trump in danger of giving the Taliban exactly what they want,” The Hill, September 18, 2019
- Author, “We’re all on the tarmac waiting for an Iran policy ,” The Hill, June 24, 2019
- Author, “Trump to Iran: ‘So call me maybe ,’” The Hill, May 17, 2019
- Author, “Mueller found an easy target,” Foxnews.com, April 23, 2019
- Author, "Does Mueller report anticipate campaign finance crimes related to Trump's Russia contacts?," The Hill, April 12, 2019
- Author, "David Tafuri: Mueller's findings of no collusion must be accepted, but we must condemn some behavior he exposed," Fox News, March 27, 2019
- Author, "Kurdistan referendum stands on 'solid legal footing'" The Washington Times, July 26, 2017
- Author, "Why Trump's Attack on Syria Is Legal," Politico, April 2017
- Author, "Libya is on verge of implosion," CNN, March 24, 2016
- Author, "Obama and GOP candidates lack strong anti-ISIS strategy, CNN, December 27, 2015
- Author, "Forget Benghazi. What About Libya?” New York Times, October 23, 2015
- Author, "Leaving a U.S. Ally Outgunned by ISIS," The Wall Street Journal, October 13, 2014
- Author, "Libya: A Country in Transition," The Hill, May 18, 2012
- Author, "Following the Libyan Model," Politico, March 19, 2012
- Author, “How President Obama Can Help Libya,” The Washington Post, June 24, 2011
- Author, “Egypt’s Assault on the World-Wide Web ,” The Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
- Author, “Wireless in Gaza,” The Wall Street Journal, August 25, 2010
- Author, “Americans in Iraq: Occupiers No Longer,” The Washington Post, January 30, 2010
- Author, "Iraq: The New FDI Frontier - Legal Shield," Financial Times fDi Magazine, December 14, 2009
- Author, "How to Invest in the Kurdistan Region - Opportunities Abound," 2009 Investment Guide for the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, December 13, 2009
- Author, “Doing Business in Iraq: 10 Smart Rules,” BusinessWeek.com, September 14, 2009
- Moderator, Roundtable with the Representatives of the Kurdish Parties of Iran, Washington Kurdish Institute, February 26, 2020
- Moderator, Roundtable with the Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Masrour Barzani, US Kurdistan Business Council, Erbil, Iraq, October 16, 2019
- Moderator, "Reconstruction, Job Creation, and Stability in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq," Transatlantic Leadership Network and American-Kurdish Economic Institute, Library of Congress, June 26, 2018
- Speaker, "The Kurdistan Region: Strategic U.S. Ally in a Tough Neighborhood," Rayburn House of Representatives Office Building, Washington, DC, July 28, 2017
- Speaker, "Russian Interference: Past and Present," Hudson Institute, Washington, DC, July 6, 2017
- Speaker, "Trump's Middle East Policy: Analyzing the First Hundred Days," Hudson Institute, Washington, DC, May 9, 2017
- Keynote Speaker, National Contract Management Association, Boston Annual March Workshop, Boston, Massachusetts, March 8, 2017
- Speaker, "Business Opportunities in Iraqi Kurdistan," The Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Washington, DC, November 29, 2016
- Speaker, "USKBC and US Chamber Welcoming for the President of the Kurdistan Region," US Chamber of Commerce, May 5, 2015
- Speaker, PILPG Expert Roundtable Discussion, “Power-Sharing in Iraq: Impossible or Inevitable?,” July 2, 2014
- Speaker, Libya Industry Day, Washington, DC, October 3, 2013
- Speaker, “The Role of Natural Resources in Iraq’s Kurdistan Region,” The Resource Curse and Iraq: Lessons from Other Countries’ Approaches to Overcome It and Develop Their Economies, Rand Corporation, May 31, 2013
- Speaker, “Iraqi Federalism: Balancing Federal and Regional Power Under the Constitution,” Rule of Law Reform in Iraq and Afghanistan: Challenges for the Coming Decade, Conference, University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, PA, September 23, 2012
- Speaker “The People Demand the Fall of the Regime: The Social and Legal Origins of the Arab Spring,” American University International 2012 Symposium Law Review, Washington, DC, February 14, 2012
- Speaker, “How to Take on a Dictator,” Summit Series, Lake Tahoe, CA, January 28, 2012
- Panelist, “Iraq’s International Economic Future,” 7th Annual Conference on Iraq: Establish Enduring Institutions, Arlington, VA, June 22, 2011
- Speaker, "Doing Business in Iraq,” US Department of Commerce Conference: Corporate Briefing: Iraq is Open for Business, Baltimore, MD, October 27, 2010
- Speaker, “Regulatory and Legal Overview,” US-Iraq Business and Investment Conference, Washington, DC, October 20, 2009
- Speaker, “Iraqi Federalism: Balancing Federal and Regional Power under the Constitution,” Rule of Law Reform in Iraq and Afghanistan: Challenges for the Coming Decade, Conference, University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, PA, September 23, 2010
- Speaker, “Bluebooking In Baghdad: The Role of Foreign Lawyers in Iraq,” International Law Review Symposium, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, DC, April 1, 2008
In the News
- “Tucker takes on former State Department official defending Biden’s airstrike,” Fox News Channel, March 1, 2021
- “What President Biden will do in the Middle East and Afghanistan,” CNN, February 4, 2021
- “Foreign policy questions in Trump to Biden transition,” Fox News Channel, November 10, 2020
- “What to know about email controversy,” Fox News Channel, October 16, 2020
- “China Tensions, GOP Stimulus, Mulan Boycott,” Bloomberg, September 8, 2020
- “Why the Israel - UAE accord is so pivotal,” Fox News Channel, August 14, 2020
- “China trade and Mideast peace, Bloomberg, August 14, 2020
- “U.S. moves forward with Taliban peace plan,” CBS News, July 4, 2020
- “How ISIS is gaining strength during the COVID-19 pandemic,” Bloomberg, May 20, 2020
- “India under 21-lockdown,” Fox News Channel, March 26, 2020
- “Will coronavirus effect election 2020?” The Hill TV, March 13, 2020
- “Will coronavirus disrupt our diplomacy,” Fox News Channel, March 8, 2020
- “Europe putting the squeeze on Iran,” Fox News Channel, January 14, 2020
- “Showdown with Iran,” Fox News Channel, January 11, 2020
- “The latest on Iran,” Fox News Channel, January 9, 2020
- “Analysis of Defense Secretary speech on global threats,” Fox News Channel, December 8, 2019
- “The Future of NATO,” Fox Nation, December 4, 2019
- “New terrorist attacks in Europe,” Fox News Channel, November 23, 2019
- “Are we seeing a clash between career diplomats and the Trump administration,” Fox News Channel, November 15, 2019
- “Analysis of the State of the Union speech,” Fox News Channel, February 5, 2019
- “Debating why the US should not pull out of NATO with Tucker Carlson,” Fox News Channel, January 15, 2019
- “What’s next for ISIS after Baghdadi killed,” Fox News Channel, October 31, 2019
- “Ukraine Quid Quo Pro,” Fox Nation, October 24, 2019
- “The Ceasefire in Syria,” Fox News Channel, October 18, 2019
- “Syrian Kurds are a US ally against ISIS,” Fox News Channel, October 7, 2019
- “Analysis of Congressional subpoena to the State Department, BBC News, September 27, 2019
- “Full Episode of Un-PC,” Fox Nation, September 26, 2019
- “Analysis of impeachment inquiry,” Fox News Channel, September 24, 2019
- “Debating Presidential race with Tucker Carlson,” Fox News Channel, August 23, 2019
- “The future of the US in Afghanistan and on support for Israel,” Fox News Channel, August 20, 2019
- “Israel’s rejection of visit by Members of Congress,” Fox News Channel, August 15, 2019
- “Debating Tucker Carlson on policy on North Korea,” Fox News Channel, July 2, 2019
- “President facing criticism over Kim, Putin meetings,” Fox News Channel, July 1, 2019
- “Nuclear weapons threats by Iran and North Korea,” Fox News Channel, July 1, 2019
- “Analysis of G20 Summit in Japan,” Fox News Channel, June 28, 2019
- “The situation in Iran is reaching an inflection point,” Fox News Channel, June 24, 2019
- “Hunt and Tafuri discuss Iran on Fox News @ Night,” Fox News Channel, June 14, 2019
- “Why foreign powers should not be involved in US elections,” Fox News Channel, June 13, 2019
- “Discussing criminal justice reform with Tucker Carlson,” Fox News Channel, June 12, 2019
- “Historic state visit by Trump to UK,” Fox News Channel, June 3, 2019
- “Developments in Iran,” Fox News Channel, May 16, 2019
- “Middle East policy and developments,” Fox Business, May 8, 2019
- “Is Trump’s foreign policy consistent ,” Fox News Channel, May 7, 2019
- “Analysis of the Mueller report and impact,” BBC News, April 18, 2019
- “High Barr,” Fox News Channel, April 12, 2019
- “Debating Tucker Carlson on the crisis at the Mexican border,” Fox News Channel, April 9, 2019
- “The no collusion finding in Mueller report and remaining questions,” BBC Word News, March 24, 2019
- “What we have learned so far from the Mueller investigation and report,” BBC World News, March 22, 2019 “Tucker Carlson and David Tafuri on Beto O’Rourke last night ,” Fox News Channel, March 14, 2020
- “Dangers of travel in the Caribbean and Latin America,” Fox News Channel, March 12, 2019
- “Is regime change in Venezuela in America’s best interest? Debate with Tucker Carlson ,” Fox News Channel, February 28, 2019
- “The fallout from the North Korea summit; analysis on Fox & Friends,” Fox News Channel, February 28, 2019
- “Foreign policy panel on the second North Korea summit on Fox & Friends,” Fox News Channel, February 27, 2019