Davis V. R. Sherman
Davis has extensive experience in health care and tax exempt finance, advising hospitals, colleges, and other tax-exempt corporations and underwriters in the arranging of tax-exempt bond financing for capital projects. He also previously represented clients in project financings and corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Davis worked in the Baltimore office of a national law firm where he served as counsel to a number of nonprofit corporations, including a major university and a variety of health care organizations.
Davis was a clerk to the Honorable John C. Eldridge, Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1985-1986.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Davis’s articles and presentations include:
- “A Primer on Tax-Exempt Financing” – American Society of Association Executives Newsletter, July 11, 2013.
- “Tax-Exempt Financing for Tax-Exempt Organizations: Is Your Organization Eligible?” – Exempt Organization Tax Journal, June 20, 2013.
- “Best Practices for Preserving Tax-Exempt Financing Eligibility in Connection with Fundraising Campaigns” – Client Briefing, July 2011
- “Tax and Legal Update- Form 990-Schedule K” – Presentation to Maryland Healthcare Financial Management Association, November 19, 2010.
- “Screening Physician Contracts for Private Business Use” – Compliance Today, October 2009.
- “Tax Exempt Finance and Sponsored Research” – Client Presentation, February 27, 2009.
- “Tax-Exempt Bonds – New IRS Enforcement Initiatives” – Client Presentation, August 8, 2008.
Mr. Sherman is currently ranked by Chambers USA for Maryland: Healthcare and has been listed since 2012 in Woodward-White’s The Best Lawyers in America for public finance law.
- University of Maryland Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute, Chairman of the Board
- The James Lawrence Kernan Hospital Endowment Fund, Inc., Chairman and President
- Maryland Humanities Council, Director and Treasurer
- Baltimore Design School, Director