Glenn C. Colton
Glenn represents companies and individual clients in investigations and actions brought or conducted by Federal, State, and local authorities, including the US Department of Justice, US attorneys' offices, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), offices of inspectors general, state attorneys general, and local district attorneys. He also represents a variety of companies, ranging from Fortune 500 to private companies and individuals in complex civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Government Enforcement & White Collar
As part of his government enforcement and white collar practice, Glenn has represented:
- Top executives of hedge funds and investment advisors;
- Alleged tippers and tippees in insider trading investigations;
- The chairman of the board of a public company in an options-backdating investigation;
- Executives of pharmaceutical companies in kickback and illegal marketing investigations;
- Companies and executives in FCPA investigations;
- Executives of public companies in revenue recognition fraud investigations;
- A foreign insurance company in an insurance fraud investigation;
- A public software company in a consumer protection investigation;
- A critical figure in the KPMG tax shelter prosecution; and
- Sports-related individuals and entities in a variety of investigations.
In his civil litigation practice, Glenn represents clients in constitutional, commercial, securities, intellectual property, employment, and tort cases.
He has successfully represented numerous clients in high-stakes consumer, privacy, and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act class actions.
Glenn has handled numerous appeals in criminal, regulatory enforcement, and civil cases, as well as in an amicus, or friend of the court, capacity in cases before the US Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, and Eighth Circuits as well as in Federal District Court and state level appellate courts.
Glenn represents a variety of companies within the fantasy sports and gambling industries on issues ranging from intellectual property to compliance. Of particular note, he successfully represented the Fantasy Sports Trade Association in the landmark litigation over the right to use player names in fantasy sports contests.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Glenn focused on white collar criminal and complex civil litigation as well as government and internal investigations at a large multinational law firm.
Glenn also served almost 10 years as an assistant US attorney in the Southern District of New York, including tenures in both the criminal and civil divisions. He was lead or co-lead trial counsel in approximately 25 trials, and all but one ended in conviction, government verdict (in civil cases) or resolution on terms favorable to the government.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Glenn frequently is called upon to provide expert legal analysis to a wide variety of publications and media outlets, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The National Law Journal, TruTV, CNBC, CBS Radio, Law360, The Street.com, Reuters.com, The Deal.com, and Finalternatives.com.
Glenn has also been the subject of features run in The Wall Street Journal, The American Lawyer, and in Law360.
He has served as an instructor at the FBI Academy at Quantico, the US Department of Justice National Advocacy Center, and the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
Glenn is recognized as a leading sports attorney in the Legal 500.
Glenn was inducted as one of only 20 members of the Fantasy Sports Trade Association Hall of Fame in large part for his work on landmark save the industry litigation.
Glenn has been an presenter/panelist on a variety of topics in numerous forums including:
- Moderator, "Fantasy Sports Contests & Traditional Sports Gambling," ASIPI Sports Law Conference, April 12, 2019.
- Panelist, "Sports Gambling, Fantasy Sports & Esports — The New Frontiers: Minimizing Risk/Maximizing Opportunities," Sports Law CLE Spring Series, March 27, 2019.
- Panelist, "What the Supreme Court’s Murphy v. NCAA Decision Means for Fantasy Sports," Celesq Webcast, January 30, 2019.
- Moderator, "Flag on the Play – 'Off Sides': Where is the Line of Scrimmage?" Fantasy Sports Trade Association Winter Conference, January 22, 2019.
- Author, "Daniels v. Fan Duel - Another freedom of speech win for the fantasy sports industry," LawInSport, December 14, 2018.
- Author, "What the Supreme Court’s Murphy v. NCAA Decision Means for Fantasy Sports," LawInSport, August 10, 2018.
- Regular guest trial expert on TruTV (Court TV)
- Panelist, "Response to Ponzi and Other Schemes: Alternative Investment Funds under Scrutiny," Practicing Law Institute
- Panelist, "Current Trends in Enforcement Actions," Treasury and Capital Markets Legal and Legislative Conference, Financial Markets Association, Washington, DC
- "Licensing Issues and the Use of Players' Names and Statistics," Fantasy Sports Trade Association Conferences, Las Vegas, NV; Denver, CO; Chicago, IL; and Tampa, FL
- Panelist, NYU Journal of Law and Business Discussion on "Preventing Corporate Crime," New York, NY
- Panelist, "Whose Home Run Is it Anyway?" presented by the American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law's Trade, Sports and Professional Associations Committee
- "Tackling Fantasy Football in College Athletics," IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum, New York, NY
Life Beyond the Law
When not practicing law, Glenn co-hosts a weekly sports talk radio show on SiriusXM and writes a weekly fantasy sports column entitled “The Week That Was.” He and his radio co-host have won 15 fantasy sports expert league titles.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- US Tax Court
New York University School of LawJD,1989State University of New York at BinghamtonBS,summa cum laude,1986