Hillary M. Stemple*
Hillary regularly advises clients on compliance with health care fraud and abuse laws, with an emphasis on the Stark law and anti-kickback statute. She also advises clients on internal and external investigations, particularly investigations related to the False Claims Act, as well as on reimbursement issues, licensing requirements, and other compliance matters.
As part of her practice, Hillary helps health care clients respond to government subpoenas, address related compliance issues, and negotiate associated settlement agreements and corporate integrity agreements. She also assists clients with drafting, implementing, and evaluating compliance programs. Hillary has counseled clients on all aspects of making voluntary self-disclosures, including the drafting and submission of self-disclosures to the OIG Self-Disclosure Protocol and the CMS Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol.
* Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Admitted in Maryland and Pennsylvania only. Practicing under supervision of firm principals.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Hillary worked at a Baltimore-based firm where she was an associate in that firm’s Health Law group.
Hillary is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association.
Publications & Presentations
Hillary's publications include:
- "Making Stark Self-Disclosures in 2017," BNA's Health Law Reporter (May 4, 2017)
- "OIG's revised exclusion criteria: Reducing the Risk," Compliance Today (October 1, 2016)
- "Ensuring Compliance with CMS 60-Day Overpayment Rule," Law360 (August 15, 2016)
- “Paging Providers: CMS Changes to Stark Law May Help You,” Law360 (July 27, 2015)
Hillary's speaking engagements include:
- Co-Speaker, "Telemedicine is Here! What Your Clients Need to Know," American Association of Nurse Attorneys (TAANA) 2018 Annual Meeting and Educational Conference; August 16– 18, 2018 (Denver, CO)
- Co-Speaker, "Fraud and Abuse Under the Microscope," Annual Center for Telehealth and e-Health Law (CTeL) Executive Telehealth Summit; June 14, 2018 (Washington, DC)
- Moderator, "In The Driver’s Seat: Leveraging Telehealth," American Telemedicine Association’s 2018 Annual Conference; April 29, 2018 (Chicago, IL)
- Speaker, "The Final 60-Day Overpayment Rule: Overview, Recent Developments, and What It Means for You and Your Clients," The American Bar Association; April 17, 2018 (Webinar)
- Co-Speaker, "Status of the ACA and Provider Compliance Programs," National Capital Healthcare Executives (NCHE) Meeting; February 20, 2018 (Arlington, VA)
- "The Final 60-Day Overpayment Rule (What it Means for You and Your Clients),” Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA); December 5, 2017 (Webcast)
- Co-Speaker, "The Affordable Care Act: What Now?" Lawline; June 5, 2017 (Webcast)
- Co-Speaker, "Future Ramifications of the Affordable Care Act on the Healthcare Industry," National Capital Healthcare Executives (NCHE) Meeting; February 21, 2017 (Arlington, Virginia)
- "It’s Here: The Final 60-Day Overpayment Rule (What it Means for You and Your Clients)," The American Association of Nurse Attorneys Annual Meeting & Educational Conference; November 12, 2016 (Dallas, Texas)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Maryland Bar
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJD,Order of the Coif, Journal of Law and Commerce, magna cum laude,2012Pennsylvania State UniversityBS,2003