Justin A. Kesselman
Justin’s litigation practice includes advising clients and resolving disputes over commercial transactions, trademark enforcement, fiduciary duties, employment relationships, fraud, unfair trade practices, and other issues facing businesses and business owners. Justin also has significant experience handling bankruptcy matters and out-of-court insolvency situations, including avoidance actions, distressed asset sales, assignments for the benefit of creditors, and business reorganizations.
Prior to joining the firm, Justin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert J. Cordy of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. During law school, he interned for the Honorable Frank J. Bailey of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts. Prior to attending law school, Justin managed a large regional restaurant and brewery for several years.Justin was previously an Associate at Posternak Blankstein & Lund LLP.
- Obtained favorable result for commercial building product manufacturer in construction case.
- Obtained injunction barring competition and use of trade secrets by former executive and his new company.
- Prosecuted and defended trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Obtained declaratory judgment from bankruptcy court recognizing lender’s security interest in millions of dollars of chattel paper.
- Obtained favorable result for bankruptcy trustee in fraudulent conveyance action against principal of mortgage company.
- Successfully defended fraud and legal malpractice actions against debtor’s law firm.
- Debtor’s counsel to real estate developer with complex international asset and debt portfolio.
- Counsel to assignee of international lobster distributor under assignment for the benefit of creditors.
- Counsel to bankruptcy trustee in sales and auctions of various business assets, including equipment, inventory, intellectual property, liquor licenses, and leases.
Memberships and Boards
- Boston Bar Association, Co-chair of the Bankruptcy Communications Committee; Member of Bankruptcy Section Steering Committee
- Local Rules Advisory Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Wondermore, Board Member
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Justin was a panelist at the American Bankruptcy Institute's "2019 Winter Leader Conference" in December 2019.
- Justin was quoted in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s article titled “Creditor can’t require reaffirmation of car lease”, September 24, 2019.
Life Beyond the Law
Justin enjoys cooking, reading, yoga, all things coffee, and volunteering for causes that aim to improve literacy among young people.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts
New England LawJD,magna cum laude, executive articles editor of the New England Law Review,2013University of Massachusetts, AmherstBA,cum laude,2003
- Justin was named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Justin was named a member of the Boston Bar Association’s 14th Public Interest Leadership Program Class, 2017-2018