Kenneth S. Jacob
Ken is a member of the Firm’s national real estate practice group. He represents clients in commercial real estate transactions in a variety of asset classes, including senior living, shopping centers, industrial, office, multifamily, and marinas. He advises his clients on their acquisition, disposition, and financing transactions and both in structuring and restructuring the ownership, investment, and financing (both mortgage and mezzanine) vehicles for such transactions. Ken also represents clients in master lease and management agreements.
In counseling his clients, including private equity funds, other institutional investors, developers, real estate investment trusts, and other real estate owners, operators, and managers, Ken focuses on developing practical legal strategies to achieve their business objectives. Ken is noted as a “detailed, practical, knowledgeable and client-focused’ leading real estate lawyer in Washington, DC by Legal 500. In 2013, The National Law Journal recognized Ken in its Washington, DC “Deal Maker of the Year” feature.
Ken’s experience includes both portfolio and single-asset transactions in connection with the acquisition and sale of properties and loans secured by such properties and/or the equity interests in their owners. Examples of transactions in which Ken served as lead counsel include:
- Representing DLC Management Corporation and its affiliates since 1999 in multiple acquisitions, dispositions, and financing of individual shopping centers and shopping center portfolios aggregating approximately $1.75 billion. In addition, advising DLC Management Corporation on the structuring of the entities holding its shopping center portfolio.
- Representing affiliates of South Bay Partners, Ltd. in the 2013 sale to CNL Healthcare Properties, Inc. of a portfolio of three senior living communities in Texas and Oklahoma for a sale price of $80.5 million and a related development agreement under which South Bay Partners, Ltd. will develop vacant land adjacent to the Texas senior living communities.
- Counseling a private equity fund in the employment and equity documents to incentivize a management team of a company owning and operating marinas and the subsequent sale of the national platform of marinas owned by the company.
- Advising a private equity fund in forming a national platform owning and operating industrial properties, acquiring and financing the platform’s industrial properties on both an individual and portfolio basis, and selling the portfolio in multiple transactions to a variety of purchasers ranging from end users to real estate investment trusts.
- Representing Horizon Bay Retirement Living, as seller, tenant, and manager in the sale, lease-back, and manage-back of a portfolio of 20 senior living facilities in seven states for a sale price of $562 million.
- Advising Horizon Bay Retirement Living in the company’s 2011 sale to Brookdale Senior Living.
Life Beyond the Law
Ken is married with three children. He and his family enjoy exploring the food at Washington area restaurants, hiking, skiing, and travel. Ken lived in Brussels and Paris for a total of 15 years.