Kenneth S. Jacob
Ken is a member of the firm’s national real estate practice group. Ken’s client base includes private equity funds, real estate investment trusts, institutional investors, project sponsors, and other real estate developers, owners, operators, and managers ranging from large publicly traded companies to family businesses. While Ken’s most extensive experience is in the senior living and retail sectors, his experience runs the gamut across all real estate asset classes, including multifamily, office, hospitality, and industrial. He advises his clients on their joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, and financing transactions, both in structuring and restructuring the ownership, investment, and financing (both mortgage and mezzanine) vehicles for such transactions. Ken represents clients in both portfolio and single-asset transactions nationwide in connection with the acquisition and sale of properties and loans secured by such properties and/or the equity interests in their owners.
Ken’s representation of both project sponsors and investors, as well as his understanding of his clients’ businesses, enables him to develop and implement practical legal strategies to allow his clients to achieve their business objectives. This skill set contributed to Ken being recognized as a Washington, DC “Deal Maker of the Year” by the National Law Journal. Ken is consistently recognized by Legal 500 US and Chambers USA. Ken was described recently by Legal 500 as providing “practical and effective advice from both a legal and a business perspective.” Clients have informed Chambers that “Ken is an outstanding lawyer, easy to work with, responsive, and very attentive.”
Recent representations include the following:
- Representing DLC Management Corporation, a private real estate owner and operator of more than 78 shopping centers in 20 states, since 1999 on more than $2 billion of transactions. Recent transactions for DLC include the acquisition of the Village at Allen, a 180-acre open air shopping, dining, and entertainment center located in Allen, Texas, for a reported sales price of $170 million, in which our comprehensive scope of work involved not only the acquisition but the joint venture and financing of the asset.
- Representing South Bay Partners, LLC, a private real estate developer that specializes in senior living communities, both in its own capacity and its capacity as co-general partner of SBLP Senior Living Fund I, LP, a private equity fund focused exclusively on senior living. As South Bay’s lead counsel on all transactional matters, Ken has represented South Bay in acquisitions, sales, development, joint ventures, and financing of senior living communities ranging from $25 million to $140 million (development cost) located in seven states.
- Representing two private equity firms in the structuring of the investment holding vehicles, developments, joint ventures, acquisitions, sales, and financing of their senior living portfolio aggregating over $3 billion in asset value.
- Representing an iconic fashion brand in the redevelopment of its flagship store in Manhattan as a mixed use project including the store and luxury apartments.
- Representing Washington REIT, a publicly traded real estate investment trust, in connection with numerous dispositions and acquisitions of office, multifamily, retail, and developable land, including the sale of 2445 M Street, NW, in Washington, DC for a reported sales price of $101.6 million.
Life Beyond the Law
Ken is married with three children. He and his family enjoy exploring different food at Washington area restaurants, hiking, skiing, and travel. Ken lived in Brussels and Paris for a total of 15 years.