Kirsten A. Hart
Kirsten defends clients in matters involving securities, intellectual property, trade secrets, unfair competition, cannabis, and contract disputes. She has represented both emerging and established companies, providing both business litigation and corporate counseling advice. Additionally, she has extensive experience at every stage of litigation, from formulating and executing litigation strategy through trial. Her trial experience, including as first chair, is comprised of state court jury trials, a federal bench trial, multiple arbitrations, and an administrative law trial.
Some of Kirsten’s notable representative matters include:
- Successfully defended an early stage cell phone waterproofing company and several of its officers and directors against breach of contract, intentional interference with contract, and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage claims brought by an investor.
- Successfully defended members of the board of directors of an early stage alternative energy company against indemnity, contribution, and apportionment of fault claims.
- Successfully defended a beverage incubator and its officers and directors in a matter involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and breach of contract claims.
- Provided corporate counseling advice to a service disabled veteran owned small business (SDVOSB) regarding both internal matters as well as government contracting.
- Successfully represented pro bono a Peruvian immigrant obtain asylum based on her membership in a Particular Social Group (PSG) pursuant to a merits hearing.
- Successfully represented pro bono an Iraqi translator who had worked on behalf of coalition forces around Baghdad to obtain a Special Immigration Visa (SIV).
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Kirsten was an associate at a national law firm, where she specialized in business litigation, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and shareholder derivative claims, as well as intellectual property law.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “3 Issues Recreational Cannabis Entrepreneurs and Investors Will Face in California,” Los Angeles Business Journal; December 21, 2016
- "Exploring Intermediary Liability In Crowdfunding," Law360, June 17, 2016
- "SEC Opens New Frontier For Online Private Financing," Law360, June 14, 2016
- “Private Financing Alternatives: the JOBS Act of 2012,” CalCPA Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA, May 2015
- "Avoiding Securities Litigation: Key Provisions and Pitfalls in Private Offering Memoranda," Bench & Bar Conference, Santa Barbara, CA, January 2015
- Kirsten has consistently been recognized by Super Lawyer magazine as a “Rising Star.”
Life Beyond the Law
Kirsten is an avid runner, cook, hostess, and mom to two little girls and a golden retriever.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
University of San Francisco School of LawJD,2008University of California, BerkeleyBA,2005