Lin J. Hymel, PhD, JD
Lin is a member of the firm’s Patent practice. His practice includes patent prosecution, opinions, licensing, and post-grant proceedings pertaining to biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, chemistry, material science, and medical devices. Lin focuses on efficient and effective patent procurement for universities, start-up companies, and mid-size companies.
Lin began his career as an academic scientist. He performed research in biochemistry, biophysics, physiology, and pharmacology at medical schools and universities in the US, Germany, and Austria, and worked in grant review administration at the National Institutes of Health. His legal practice has included work at a major biotechnology company and at general practice and IP boutique law firms.
- Biotechnology, including proteins and nucleic acids for therapy and diagnosis, antibodies, nutritional biochemistry, lipids, peptides, enzymes, cell culture, cancer genetics, vaccines, microscopy, chromatography, and protein purification.
- Medical diagnostics, including cancer diagnostics, FISH, and ELISA.
- Pharmacology, including small molecule drugs, imaging agents, drug formulations, and drug delivery vehicles.
- Chemistry, including polymers, textiles, catalysts, biofuels, and antimicrobials
- Materials, including nanomaterials, semiconductor materials, magnetic materials, elastic materials.
- Devices, including cardiovascular devices, optical devices, microfluidic devices, fuel cells, nanoelectronic devices, batteries, and photovoltaic devices.
Memberships and Boards
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Patent Law Association, Chemical Practice Committee, Co-Chair, 2011-2014, Patent Law Committee Co-Chair 2016-2018
Life Outside the Law
Lin is a member of the Boston Classical Guitar Society.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
Georgetown LawJD,2001Vanderbilt UniversityPhD,National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship,1982Tulane UniversityBS,summa cum laude,1975
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer in 2018