Luna M. Samman
Luna works with clients in various industries and of all sizes on domestic and global brand protection.
Luna manages several large client portfolios at Arent Fox and works closely with local counsel around the world to protect the intellectual property interests of her clients, with a focus on the Food & Beverage industries. She also advises clients on complex IP matters in transactional, sponsorship, and licensing agreements, including naming rights and sponsorship agreements in the sports industry.
Luna advises clients on all aspects of intellectual property issues, including worldwide trademark, trade dress, and copyright protection and enforcement, the selection and clearance of marks, global advertising campaigns and brand launches, and licensing. She prepares and prosecutes trademark applications, provides trademark availability opinions, represents clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings, conducts due diligence for licensing programs and in connection corporate acquisitions, and partners with Arent Fox’s Intellectual Property Litigation team to manage litigation and other disputes. Luna also has extensive experience in managing and operating a volume anti-piracy compliance program for computer software. She has worked with clients in various fields including the restaurant, pharmaceutical and medical device, fashion, and cannabis industries.
Before joining Arent Fox, Luna worked in the Washington, DC office of two nationally recognized law firms. She also served as an adjunct professor teaching trademark and unfair competition at Howard University School of Law.
Luna holds membership in the International Trademark Association and the Anti-Counterfeiting & Anti-Piracy Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO).
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Luna has written numerous articles and spoken at various events about trademark law, including:
- Co-author, “A Trademark Overhaul! Amendments to the Canadian Trade-marks Act and Their Effect on U.S. Trademark Owners” Landslide, March-April 2016
- Nomination, “2011 Legal Elite Readers Poll,” SmartCEO
- Speaker, “INTA’s Careers in Trademark Law: A Panel Discussion for Law Students,” INTA, March 25, 2011
- Contributor, “Is Someone Using YOUR Domain Name?” The Business Owner, December 2010
- Co-author, “Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets for In-House Counsel, Third Edition,” Provided by the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 2008
- Speaker, “Applying to Register Trademarks with the USPTO,” The ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law – Practical Tips on Intellectual Property Law: Obtaining IP Rights from the US Government, April 9, 2008
- Speaker, “CyberPiracy & Predatory Practices: Protecting the Client Community,” Legal Services National Assistance Technology Project, June 29, 2007 and October 12, 2007
- Speaker, “Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)/Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999 (ACPA): Dealing with Cyber-Claims,” ALI-ABA – Internet Law for the Practical Lawyer, May 10, 2007
Life Beyond the Law
Luna enjoys spending time with her husband and two sons. She loves to travel internationally and has previously lived in both France and Lebanon. She is fluent in French and conversational in Arabic. She is also a big sports fan, especially when it comes to cheering on the Georgetown Hoyas.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- US District Court, District of Maryland
The George Washington University Law SchoolJD,with honors,2004Georgetown UniversityBA,2001