Mark R. Phillips
Mark defends employers in class action and single and multi-plaintiff employment matters – including wage and hour cases, wrongful termination, defamation, discrimination, and other employment litigation – as well as general commercial disputes. He also counsels employers on day to day employment matters, trains management on human resources issues, and advises employers regarding new legal developments in the workplace.
As a class action and employment litigator, Mark has successfully defended against class certification, won significant victories, and achieved favorable settlement in a wide range of employment law and other lawsuits in California. He has been successful in defeating claims in a variety of employment-related cases, including claims for race and national origin discrimination, sex discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, whistleblowing, sexual harassment and defamation.
Before joining Arent Fox, Mark was a partner at Hansen & Phillips LLP, a Southern California business litigation firm. He previously practiced at a San Diego employment law firm. Additionally, he served as a law clerk for Judge Lawrence J. Block of the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Mark’s speaking engagements include:
- “Vacation & Leave Policies and New Trends," 2019 Labor & Employment Law Conference, January 17, 2019
- “A Challenge for Our Times: When Your Facility’s Disruptive Behavior Problem Is Sexual Harassment,” Medical Staff Leaders and the Law 2018, February 2, 2018
- “How Medical Staffs Should Approach Such High-Technology Wonders as Social Media and Texting,” Medical Staff Leaders and the Law 2018, February 2, 2018
- "New Laws Affecting Wage & Hour/Class/Representative Actions," 2016 California Employment Law Forum, December 8, 2016
- "New Developments in Employment Law," 2015 California Employment Law Review, December 10, 2015
- "An Overview of Wage and Hour Class Actions in Today’s Legal Climate," 2014 California Labor and Employment Law Review, December 4, 2014
- "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: What Employers Need To Know Now," 2013 California Employment Law Review, January 16, 2014
- “Employers and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,” 2012 California Employment Law Review, December 6, 2012
Mark's publications include:
- “Views How Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch could affect employers," Employee Benefit News, February 14, 2017