Matthew S. Stone
Matt assists property owners, developers, institutions, and investors with local land use and environmental compliance. He focuses on helping clients obtain governmental approvals to develop or utilize property by conducting due diligence and zoning analysis, as well as helping to develop entitlement strategies to address California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) compliance and government and community outreach. Matt works on a variety of residential, commercial, and mixed-use projects, including sensitive coastal development and infill redevelopment. He has experience with the California Coastal Act, the California Planning and Zoning Law, CEQA, and other federal and state environmental laws.
Matt’s day-to-day consists of advising clients at various stages of the entitlement and environmental review processes, and assisting with post-entitlement condition compliance. Within this work, he regularly interacts with consultants and project teams to design and revise projects, develop application materials, and find solutions to complex development requirements or environmental issues.
- Advise Bay Area developer on post-entitlement and construction related issues in connection with the Menlo Gateway project in Menlo Park, CA.
- Counsel developer on post-entitlement condition compliance in connection with development of new bayfront office project in Burlingame, CA.
- Assisted hospitality client in obtaining entitlements to redevelop an existing hotel in Sunnyvale, CA into a luxury lifestyle hotel with a focus on sustainability.
- Assisted local nonprofit with securing entitlements to transform an aging single-screen movie theater into a new live-performance and community event venue in Menlo Park, CA.
- Conduct due diligence in connection with acquisition of multifamily housing portfolios in San Francisco.
- Represented developer in obtaining entitlements for the redevelopment of an underutilized shopping mall into a large mixed-use project in Los Angeles, CA.
- Assisted developer in obtaining approvals for a mixed-use project which would preserve an historic concert venue in Hollywood, CA.
- Helped a West Los Angeles private school obtain approvals to increase school enrollment.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Matt was a member of the Government & Regulatory practice at a national law firm. Matt was also previously a staff member with the California Coastal Commission and local government entities, and worked in-house at a major technology company.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
Tulane University School of LawJD,(cum laude)Yale UniversityBA