Michael focuses on lender-side multistate, multi-property real estate financing transactions involving multifamily dwellings, manufactured housing communities, and senior housing facilities, some with affordable housing components. Specializing in Fannie Mae credit facility financings, Michael has contributed to transactions resulting in an excess of $3 billion in closed loans. His recent representations include:
- A Fannie Mae $100M refinance of trusts-held multi-state, multifamily housing and manufactured housing communities.
- Ongoing Fannie Mae refinancings of three multimillion-dollar funds specializing in the acquisition and development of manufactured housing communities.
- Additions, expansions, borrow-ups, releases, and staggered substitutions to and from Fannie Mae credit facilities.
- The investigation and resolution of complicated title, easement, and survey matters, LIHTC, HOAs, REAs, and resulting estoppel and SNDAs.
- The successful recovery from an upstate municipality of a six-figure overpayment of taxes by a client.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Michael worked at a large Wall Street firm representing investment banks in the real estate aspects of secured bank and bond financings (including a 17-state, 900+ property acquisition and refinancing). He was a Post-Graduate Fellow at the New York City Law Department in the Special Litigation Unit, and interned with the Honorable William H. Pauley, SDNY. Michael also served as Chief Operating Officer for the owners of commercial buildings in New York’s Jewelry District for over a decade.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Online: 1935’s Black Monday, Ghosts and 2012 Health Care Reform, New York Law School Online Law Review