Michael P. McMahan
Mike focuses his practice on representing automobile dealerships and their principals in high-stakes disputes with automotive manufacturers. Mike also has a broad background of experience in complex litigation.
Mike helped win an appeal before the New York Court of Appeals on behalf of a New York-based dealership group, which resulted in a precedent setting decision with national implications. The Second Circuit asked the New York Court of Appeals to interpret two provisions of New York’s Franchised Motor Vehicle Dealer Act involving sales performance standards and franchise modifications. Beck Chevrolet Co., Inc. v General Motors LLC.
Mike has represented and continues to represent dealers of almost every major brand of vehicle sold in the United States, helping dealers and their principals navigate lawsuits from the filing of a complaint, discovery and depositions, and all the way through appeals. Mike has personally handled court hearings, argued before appellate courts, and settled cases all on behalf of dealers.
Before joining Arent Fox, Mike was an associate at the New York office of a large, international firm, and handled a variety of matters ranging from insurance coverage to securities fraud. Mike was also the lead associate on a trial in New York Supreme Court on a dispute related to a $1 billion transaction.
- New York Inn of Court
- New York County Lawyer's Association
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- "Stop the Bleeding: Challenging The Manufacturers' Control of Dealers Through Incentives", DEFENDER, National Association of Dealer Counsel, September 2017
- Dewey Trial Gets Second Run In Morality Play, For CLE Credit, Law360, June 2016
- BNA: Real Estate Law & Industry [4 REAL 288, 4/19/2011], Worth the Paper They're Written on? Completion Guaranties Tough to Enforce, by Joshua S. Sohn, Jason R. Goldstein, and Mike McMahan
Life Beyond the Law
Mike creates and performs educational musical parodies with fellow lawyers for the New York Inn of Court, such as the critically-acclaimed “Dewey: An Ethical Musical,” and helped write NYCLA's The Book of Betty, a musical tribute to Hon. Betty Weinberg Ellerin.
Mike has three young children, including identical twin daughters, with his wife Andrea. They live in New Jersey.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- New Jersey Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
New York University School of LawJD,Web Editor of the NYU Journal of Law and Liberty,2009University of VermontBA,magna cum laude,2006