M.J.’s practice focuses on representing real estate private equity and institutional investors in real estate acquisition, disposition, joint venture entity formation, financing, and leasing across a wide array of real estate types, including office, agriculture, multifamily, low-income housing, senior living, student housing, and retail.
M.J.’s recent representative projects include:
- Representing an institutional investor in the acquisition of more than 40,000 acres of former sugar cane land and water rights in Hawaii, as well as in the lease/purchase of more than 9,000 acres of almond orchards in California’s Central Valley.
- Representing a global investment bank in connection with the acquisition of six different portfolios of existing apartment buildings in San Francisco and Berkeley, totaling more than 100 properties.
- Representing a real estate private equity investment company in the acquisition of a portfolio of seven apartment projects in the north San Francisco Bay Area and a senior and assisted living facility in Fresno, California.
- Representing a real estate private equity investment company in the acquisition, financing, and disposition of a student housing project for redevelopment in Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Representing a real estate private equity investment company in the negotiation of a joint venture agreement and the construction financing for a multi-use multifamily project adjacent to a BART station in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Representing a private investor in the acquisition, refinancing, and leasing of a portfolio of five office buildings in Carlsbad, California.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, M.J. was a partner in a prominent global law firm.
M.J. is a member of the California State Bar, Real Property Section.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
M.J.’s publications and presentations include:
- Guest Lecturer: "Land Use," Real Estate Transactions & Litigation Course, University of California, Berkeley School of Law; Fall 2017, 2018
- “Commercial Real Estate Defaults, Workouts and Reorganizations,” sponsored by the American Law Institute; 2013
- “California Real Estate Finance Practice: Strategies and Forms,” co-author, CEB; 2000
Life Beyond the Law
M.J. is an active supporter of the Downtown Oakland YMCA and the Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive at UC Berkeley.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
University of California, Berkeley, School of LawJD,Associate Editor, California Law Review,1983Brigham Young UniversityBA,magna cum laude; University Scholar,1980