Peter V. B. Unger
Peter concentrates his practice on defending clients in governmental investigations, including actions before the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Department of Justice (DOJ), Congress, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and state securities regulators. He also conducts and defends internal investigations and independent reviews involving the antifraud and other provisions of the federal securities laws, defends securities litigation, and advises on ethics and compliance matters, crisis management, and corporate governance. In addition, Peter defends Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations, provides FCPA compliance advice, and conducts FCPA due diligence of third parties worldwide.
Peter also has served as counsel to both SEC and DOJ corporate monitors and as an independent compliance monitor of large multinational corporations pursuant to settlements of World Bank Group debarment proceedings.
Peter represents multinational companies and senior executives in high profile matters. Clients typically include public companies, boards and audit committees, directors and officers, broker dealers, and other financial institutions. His client base includes oil services, transportation, power generation, financial services, and pharmaceutical industries.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Peter was a partner in the litigation department of an international law firm located in Washington, DC. Peter began his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Norman C. Roettger Jr., former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. He also served as an attorney in the SEC’s Division of Enforcement.
Peter is an active member of the American Bar Association (ABA) Business Law Section’s Federal Regulation of Securities Committee and its Civil Litigation and SEC Enforcement Matters Subcommittee. He is also a member of the ABA Litigation Section’s Securities Litigation Committee. Additionally, Peter is a member of the Corporation, Finance, and Securities Law Section of the District of Columbia Bar Association and previously served as an elected member of its Steering Committee.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Peter has been listed in Who’s Who in American Law, Who’s Who in America, and Who’s Who in the World. In August 2010, Peter was quoted in The Washington Post discussing Whistleblower Provision in the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Overhaul and several Law360 articles including “Fueling FCPA Enforcement” and “China Tops List of FCPA Hot Spots.” His recent speaking engagements, publications, and press coverage include:
- “FCPA Best Practices for Fashion and Beauty Companies,” Corporate Counsel, May 30, 2014, (co-author with Anthony Lupo and Joseph Mauro)
- Moderator, “World Bribery & Corruption Compliance Forum,” 2013, 2011, 2010, London, England
- “FCPA Due Diligence: How Much is Enough,” Law 360, February 22, 2010, (co-author)
- Panelist, along with the director of Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) Enforcement Branch and the director of the US SEC Division of Enforcement “Comparing Enforcement Approaches: Does a Border Make a Difference?” Ontario Securities Commission Seminar, (November 27, 2007).
- Panelist, “Hot Topics in Corporate Governance,” 2007 Legal Council Fall Seminar
- DOJ Issues Second FCPA Opinion Procedure Release of 2010, July 2010
- Fueling the FCPA Fire: The Dodd-Frank Act Whistleblower Provisions, July 2010
- DOJ Issues First FCPA Opinion Procedure Release of 2010, April 2010
- Arent Fox Partners Mark Radke and Peter Unger – Executive Counsel, “Dodd-Frank Bounty Provisions Could be Exploited”
Life Beyond the Law
When not working, Peter enjoys spending time with his wife and their two daughters.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Ohio Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
Georgetown LawLL.M.1987University of Cincinnati College of LawJD1983Miami UniversityBA1980