Rachel recently re-joined Arent Fox after working as in-house counsel to a home care company with operations in 11 states.
Rachel represents a variety of nonprofit and for-profit health care providers, including hospices, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, durable medical equipment providers and physician practices.
Specifically, Rachel focuses on advising clients undergoing federal and state audits and investigations in fraud and abuse matters, including anti-kickback, self-referral, false claims, corporate practice of medicine and fee splitting, certificate of need, facility licensure and professional licensing matters, Medicare and Medicaid survey and reimbursement issues, and health care privacy and security matters. Rachel also assists clients with compliance audits, and the development and implementation of compliance programs, and has represented national senior care companies, home health companies and hospices in complex corporate restructurings and acquisitions.
Rachel is a current member of the Board of Trustees of the Hospice & Palliative Care Association of New York State, a past member of the regulatory committee of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, and has also performed pro bono work for the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, the Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State, and the Home Care & Hospice Association of New Jersey.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Rachel was rated as one of the top up and coming health care attorneys in New York by Chambers USA. Rachel was also recently rated by Legal 500 US as a national leader in the health care field.
Rachel’s past speaking engagements include:
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) Annual Meeting 2019, "Compliance Advice for the Post-Acute Provider: Assess, Audit, and Do It Again," Boston, Massachusetts, June 24, 2019
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Leadership & Advisory Conference, "Ethical Marketing Practices," April 15, 2019
- HPCANYS' 39th Annual Interdisciplinary Seminar and Meeting, "Are You Ready for the Next Wave of Audits?" Albany, New York, April 3, 2019
- HCA’s and HPCANYS’ Corporate Compliance Symposium, "What Home Care, Hospice Need to Know about NGS Audits,” Albany, New York, October 17, 2018
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Webinar, "Ethical Marketing Practices," May 22, 2018
- Home Care Association of New York State Annual Compliance Conference, “Establishing and Maintaining an Effective Compliance Program,” New York, New York, March 23, 2017
- Home Care Association of New York State Compliance Workshop, “Retooling Your Compliance Program”, New York, New York, February 23, 2016
- Home Care Association of New York State Home Care Survival Bootcamp, “Establishing Effective Compliance Manuals”, New York, New York, May 13, 2015
- National Association for Home Care and Hospice - Annual Meeting & Exposition, “I’m on a Board. What are my Legal and Ethical Responsibilities?”, National Harbor, Maryland, October 31, 2013
- Home Care Association of New York State Corporate Compliance Symposium, “Hot Topics in Medicare RAC, ZPIC and MIC Appeals”, with Connie A. Raffa, Albany, New York, October 2, 2013
- Fraud and Compliance Forum, “Fraud and Abuse Developments in Home Health”, with William A. Dombi, Baltimore, Maryland, September 30, 2013
- New Jersey Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, “The Legal Aspects of Marketing: Consequences and Impact of the Affordable Care Act,” and “Compliance - It Matters,” with Connie A. Raffa, Eatontown, New Jersey; November 27, 2012
- National Association for Home Care and Hospice - Annual Meeting & Exposition, "The Hospice/Nursing Home Partnership in Caring for the Terminally Ill," and "Legal Aspects of Marketing for Home Health Agencies and Hospices," Orlando, Florida; October 22, 2012
- New England Home Care Conference & Trade Show, "Recovery Audit Contractors and Other Contractors: Targeted Risk Areas and Compliance Strategies in Home Care," and "Legal Aspects of Marketing: Advantages and Consequences for Home Health Agencies and Hospices and Impact of the Affordable Care Act," with Connie A. Raffa, Mashantucket, Connecticut; May 31-June 2, 2012
- Health Care Compliance Association Compliance Institute, "Compliance Risks for Home Health, Hospice, and Hospice/Nursing Home Relationships," and Responding to Congressional and Contractor Investigations," with Connie A. Raffa, Las Vegas, Nevada; May 1-2, 2012
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization 27th Management and Leadership Conference, "Legal Aspects of Marketing: Advantages, Consequences, and How the Affordable Care Act has Impacted the Rules," National Harbor, Maryland; March 30, 2012
- National Association for Home Care and Hospice 31st Annual Meeting & Exposition, "Legal Aspects of Marketing Legal Issues for Home Health Agencies and Hospice," Washington, DC; March 28, 2012
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization 27th Management and Leadership Conference, four-hour pre-conference session on hospice, National Harbor, Maryland; March 27, 2012
Rachel’s publications include:
- "OIG Issues Two Reports Identifying Medicare Hospice Beneficiaries at Risk of Harm from Hospice Deficiencies," Arent Fox Legal Alert, July 2019
- “New York Law Imposes Drug 'Take Back' Obligations on Manufacturers, Pharmacies, and Wholesalers, with Manufacturers Footing the Bill,” Arent Fox Legal Alert, July 2018
- “CMS Issues Final Regulations Clarifying the 36-Month Change of Ownership Rule for Home Health Agencies,” Arent Fox Legal Alert, November 2010
- “New Compliance Program Regulations Proposed by the New York Office of Medicaid Inspector General,” Arent Fox Legal Alert, January 2009
- “The New Office of The Medicaid Inspector General: What Are They Up To?” May 2008
- “Operation Home Alone – Past, Present & Future,” New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Spring 2008
Life Beyond the Law
In addition to being the mother of four beautiful children, Rachel is a nationally certified physician assistant licensed to practice in the state of New York. Prior to joining Arent Fox, Rachel worked as a physician assistant in both hospital and outpatient settings.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
Fordham University School of LawJDTouro CollegeBS,cum laude