Ricardo's diverse client base includes companies in the retail and fashion (Inditex/Zara, Massimo Dutti, Guru Denim) and the food and beverage (Mars, Juan Valdez Café) industries. As the leader of the firm’s internationally recognized Trademark practice, Ricardo advises international brands on their corporate, regulatory, and intellectual property matters.
As head of the firm’s Trademark practice, and a dual civil and common law attorney who has practiced law in Latin America and the United States, Ricardo offers a unique perspective to help clients expand their business.
Ricardo routinely helps companies with:
- Negotiations of commercial and distribution agreements
- Analysis and settlement of distribution termination claims, license agreements, analysis, and risk assessment
- Product claims, labeling and advertisement restrictions
- Cases before national advertisement review boards
- Due diligence in the acquisition of tangible and intangible assets
- An array of intellectual property issues including protection, enforcement, unfair competition, and regulatory licenses for research and development
- Risk assessment on product claims, labeling, and advertisement restrictions
Before joining Arent Fox in 2004, Ricardo was a partner in a major law firm in the city of Caracas, Venezuela where he represented various pharmaceutical, food, and entertainment companies doing business in South America. He routinely advised on issues involving foreign investment requirements and compliance, regulatory compliance with focus on food and pharmaceuticals, and intellectual property — namely trademark protection and litigation, data access, and privacy and patent litigation. His clients included Mars, Inc., The Coca Cola Company, The Walt Disney Company, and Procter & Gamble.
While attending law school, Ricardo clerked for a civil and commercial court in the city of Caracas with jurisdiction over civil and commercial matters.
Ricardo has been on the board of the Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), where he also chaired its internet committee and is a current member. He has also served in various committees at the International Trademark Association (INTA).
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Caracas (Venezuela) Bar
- Miranda (Venezuela) Bar
UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center)MA,Intellectual Property,1993Universidad Santa Maria (Caracas, Venezuela),Law Degree,1991