Ross Q. Panko
Ross has extensive experience in intellectual property litigation, counseling and transactions.
Ross’s litigation experience includes the representation of clients in trademark, copyright, patent, trade secret, and false advertising cases in federal and state courts and administrative venues. He regularly represents clients in intellectual property disputes in federal courts, in inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and in domain dispute proceedings arising under ICANN’s Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy. Ross also represents clients in Section 337 actions before the International Trade Commission and false advertising disputes before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau.
Ross counsels clients in a wide range of industries, including media and entertainment, computer software, consumer electronics, food, and publishing. He regularly counsels clients on domestic and international trademark and copyright issues, including the clearance, prosecution and enforcement of trademarks, and the licensing and protection of copyrighted works. Ross has negotiated and drafted a wide variety of agreements relating to intellectual property interests, including licensing and publishing agreements.
Ross served as an intern for the Honorable Paul L. Friedman of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Ross is a member of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association. He also holds membership in the International Trademark Association and the Maryland State Bar Association.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Ross was named a DC Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine (2014).
His articles include:
- “Misuse of Copyright Misuse Doctrine,” Landslide (American Bar Association); July/August 2012 (Volume 4, Number 6)
- “American Airlines Sues Yahoo! for Use of Trademarks in Keyword Advertising Program,” World Trademark Report; November 2008
- “Guitar Shape Trademark Not Infringed by Competitor’s Similar Design,”World Trademark Report; October 2005
- “Resurrecting Barratry Imposes Detour on Road to Modernization of Maryland Contracts Jurisprudence,” Maryland Law Review; 2003 (vol. 62, p. 361)
Ross’s presentations include:
- “Negotiating Effective Contracts: Developing Best Practices for Effectively Negotiating IP Contracts,” January 2017 (Webinar)
- “The Trans-Pacific Partnership’s Trademark Provisions: What They Mean for IE Canada Members Doing Business in the U.S.,” January 2016 (Webinar)
- “Copyright in the Classroom,” February 2011 (Washington, DC)
- “Use of Parody in Advertising: Trademark and Right of Publicity Issues,” November 2008 (New York, NY)
- “Traditional and Non-Traditional Forms of Counterfeiting,” April 2006 (Washington, DC)
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
University of Maryland School of LawJD,Order of the Coif,2004Hamline UniversityBA,cum laude,1997