Russell A. Semmel*
Russell is an experienced customs and international trade litigator and counselor. He advises clients on import compliance matters such as tariff classification, value, and origin; drawback and duty deferral programs; free trade agreements and trade preference programs; and the recent Sections 232 and 301 tariff measures. He also represents clients before US Customs and Border Protection in audits and matters including information requests and notices of action; protests and post-summary corrections; seizures and forfeitures; and prior disclosures and penalty actions. Russell has frequently appeared before the US Court of International Trade and Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
*Not admitted in DC. Admitted in New York only. Practicing under the supervision of DC Bar members.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Russell worked at a specialized customs and international trade law firm. During law school, he interned for Hon. Timothy C. Stanceu, US Court of International Trade; and in the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs, and served as an Articles Editor for the Cardozo Journal of International and Comparative Law and member of the Human Rights & Genocide Clinic.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Russell has been recognized as a Rising Star in International Law by Super Lawyers (2015 – 2019) in both the New York and Washington, DC markets.
Russell’s publications include:
- No Reservations: A Proposal to Streamline Calendar Practice in the U.S. Court of International Trade, 23 Tul. J. Int’l & Comp. L. 429 (2015)
- Symposium, Practitioner Insights into International Dispute Resolution, 22 Cardozo J. Int’l & Comp. L. 737 (2014)
Russell’s speaking engagements include:
- Panelist, 18th Judicial Conference of the US Court of International Trade, New York, NY, Dec. 1, 2014
- Panelist, CITBA “Technology in the Courtroom and Preparing Witnesses” CLE Event, May 11, 2015
- Speaker, Rudy A. Piña & Assocs. Customs Compliance Seminar, Nogales, AZ (2014–15, ‘17–18)
- Moderator, ABA–Cardozo Careers in International Law Panel (2012–15)
Russell's memberships include the Customs and International Trade Bar Association’s (CITBA) Young Lawyers Committee and the New York American Inn of Court.
Life Beyond the Law
A South Florida native, when not practicing Russell enjoys distance running, a fine scotch, and exploring his neighborhood with his wife, Janie, and dog, Charlie. He is a devoted fan of everything Florida Gators and Atlanta Braves. He sits on the Democratic National Committee’s National Finance Committee and is a member of the New York Democratic Lawyers Council, a voting rights advocacy group. He is also a member of the Young Professionals Division of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of LawJD,2010University of FloridaBA,2006