Tal M. Unrad
Tal’s practice focuses on corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, start-up structuring and financing, e-commerce and distressed transactions.
Tal represents both domestic and foreign buyers and sellers in middle-market asset and stock purchase transactions across various industries. He works regularly with venture capital and private equity firms in their capacity as acquirers and sellers of businesses. He has routinely represented clients in the manufacturing, software, technology, and health-tech industries.
Tal is also active in the Boston start-up scene and has helped several companies launch their vision into successful companies. He frequently works with entrepreneurs and emerging companies to establish their initial business presence and to help obtain early-round and subsequent financing.
Tal has substantial experience in representing clients in distressed situations, which he has successfully resolved through lender work-outs, assignments for the benefit of creditors, private asset sales, Article 9 foreclosures and 363 bankruptcy sales. He has a thorough understanding of secured financing transactions, perfection of security interests, asset foreclosures and debt restructurings.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Tal was a Partner in a Boston law firm. He also worked in the legal department of Travelers Insurance handling insurance policy drafting and claim disputes for its Bond and Financial Products division. Tal also served as the Public Affairs Officer for the Israeli Foreign Ministry at its Boston consulate.
- Sale of private equity interest in food manufacturing equipment producer to publicly traded entity.
- Represented commercial real estate management group in developing tax efficient corporate structures for the acquisition of over 20 office parks and receipt of foreign investments.
- Represented assisted living developer in corporate structuring of joint ventures with REIT investors and its acquisitions of numerous development properties and operating facilities, including a distressed property purchased through a Chapter 11 363 bankruptcy process.
- Represented private equity seller in sale of industrial equipment rental business to United Rentals.
- Sale of online continuing medical education platform to strategic competitor.
- Represented EHR software developer in acquisition of multiple complementary software products and India-based software development company.
- Represented shareholders in of mortgage services company to private equity acquirer.
- Facilitated $50 million restructuring of restaurant chain with 13 locations operating through the US.
- Successfully defended shareholders in $46 million fraudulent transfer case brought by bankruptcy trustee in Chapter 11 proceedings (DSI v. Kaplan, et., 555 B.R. 70 (Bankr. D. Me. 2016); 876 F.3d 384 (1st Cir. 2017)).
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor in sale of its assets to secured creditors (In re Karmaloop Inc., Case No. 15-106350-MFW (Bankr. D. Del.)).
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
- Boston Bar Association – Bankruptcy, Business Transaction, and International Section - former Co-Chair International Transactions Committee
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Red Cross, Volunteer CPR & First Aid Instructor
- American Jewish Committee
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Tal was quoted in “My Employer is Filing for Bankruptcy – What Do I Need to Know?” as it appears on Boston.com, August 2013
Life Beyond the Law
Tal is a great person to be around when you may be in harm’s way – he is a certified Emergency Medical Technician and has been studying and teaching martial arts for over 30 years. He enjoys spending time with his family, scuba diving, and staying up on the latest tech.