Temitope K. Yusuf
Tope recently served as the Deputy Independent Monitor for one of the world’s largest banks. She was responsible for overseeing a team that reviewed the implementation of improvements to the institution's corporate governance, OFAC sanctions and BSA/AML compliance policies. She frequently advises clients under investigation by the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission and New York County District Attorney’s Office.
Tope has also represented corporations in various employment related matters including labor negotiations, discrimination claims, wage and hour disputes and inquiries from the Department of Labor. She frequently provides clients with guidance on employee manuals, social media issues and compliance training on federal, state and local laws.
Her unique blend of white collar investigative experience and labor and employment expertise has allowed Tope to serve as a key advisor to clients facing sexual harassment allegations in the #metoo era. She has conducted internal investigations, drafted policies and trained managers on appropriate workplace conduct.
Tope also conducts global investigations pertaining to US law including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) and False Claims Act (FCA).
Representative matters include:
- Serving as Deputy Independent Consultant for one of the world’s largest financial institutions following settlement with NY Department of Financial Services and DOJ.
- Negotiating initial collective bargaining agreements for multiple health care institutions.
- Representing an individual in Swiss and potential U.S. related inquiries regarding the FIFA corruption prosecution.
- Representing a CEO and General Manager of a multi-national company in an FCPA investigation by DOJ and SEC.
- Defending a pharmaceutical company in a Department of Justice investigation involving claims regarding off-label promotion.
- Leading an internal investigation and successfully negotiating a favorable resolution for an export company with the Inspector General of the Export Import Bank of America and the Department of Justice.
- Succeeded in a summary judgment motion in the Southern District of New York in an age discrimination and retaliation case. The Second Circuit affirmed the SDNY decision.
- Conducting internal investigations and successful negotiations for multiple clients involving matters before DOJ, New York County District Attorney’s Office, and various divisions of the Department of Labor.
- Supervising large teams of attorneys in connection with internal investigations involving FCPA, FCA and FIRREA claims.
- Advising companies regarding development of comprehensive compliance programs in anti-corruption and employment matters.
- Conducting training programs for employers regarding compliance with federal, state and local employment laws.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Tope was a litigation summer associate for the firm. She was also the inaugural Diversity Scholarship Recipient in 2006.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Rising Star, 2016
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, 2015
- In 2012 and 2016, Tope received the firm's Albert E. Arent Pro Bono Award for outstanding contribution to the public interest.
Tope's speaking engagements include:
- Effective Compliance with New York State & City Sexual Harassment Laws, April 2019
- National Employment Law Council, April 2016 and April 2017
- Institute of Inclusive Security’s 14th Annual Colloquium: Strengthening Peacemakers Around the World on January 16, 2013 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The participants represented a wide range of countries including Colombia and Liberia and are involved in all sectors of their communities at the government, non-profit, and civil society levels.
Life Beyond the Law
Tope is an avid college basketball fan and follows the Maryland Terps closely. She also enjoys cooking, volunteering and serving as a mentor to high school and college students. Tope is an Adjunct Lecturer in Law at Columbia University School of Law. Tope’s Legal Practice Workshop focuses on brief writing skills.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
Columbia Law SchoolJD,James Kent Scholar,2008University of MarylandBA,cum laude,2005