Thomas S. Brennan
Tom has a particular focus on companies with innovative technologies in education, agriculture, medical device, renewable energy, and sustainability. He advises on angel, venture capital, equity and debt financings, joint ventures, licensing, mergers, acquisitions, and corporate reorganizations.
Tom is a member of the firm’s Venture Capital & Emerging Businesses, Agricultural Technology and FinTech Industry Groups.
Leveraging his experience as an in-house general counsel, Tom’s practice extends to acting as outside general counsel to private and public companies, advising boards and C-level management on corporate governance, executive compensation, fiduciary duties, securities compliance, and merger and acquisition strategies. Tom was previously an attorney at Posternak Blankstein & Lund LLP.
- Represented venture capital firms in equity investments in disruptive technologies and products, including edtech, consumer brands, and software.
- Represented agtech firm in equity and debt financing.
- Represented wireless communication company in equity and debt financing, and cross border transactions.
- Represented energy storage company in debt financing and sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented medical device company in equity and debt financing.
- Represented venture capital firm in private tender offer for shares of environmentally friendly household products company.
- Represented health care software company in sale to private equity firm.
- Represented marketing software company in sale to private equity firm.
- Represented dental manufacturer in acquisition of dental laboratories.
- Represented defense contractor in sale to private equity firm.
- Represented publicly held dental laboratory in $125M sale to private equity company.
- Represented publicly held party goods store in $35M sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented publicly held consumer lending company in $187M sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented public companies in connection with SEC compliance matters, including periodic reporting, executive compensation, disclosure obligations, and listing standards.
- Represented board members, executives and other selling stockholders in Section 16 compliance (Forms 3, 4 and 5) and Section 13d compliance (Forms 13D and 13G) in connection with their acquisition and sale of company stock.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Tom co-authored an article titled "Cybersecurity and Corporate Governance. Critical Questions Public Companies Must Answer," Morgan Stanley, July 2019
Memberships & Boards
- American Bar Association
- Board member, Community Endowment of Lexington
Life Beyond the Law
Tom is an avid hiker and biker.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
University of Maryland School of LawJD,order of the coif,1999Fordham UniversityMA,1996Johns Hopkins UniversityBA,1990