Tracy J. Luu-Varnes
From developing successful defense strategies to avoid trial to litigating complex disputes, Tracy counsel clients at every stage of litigation, from filing or answering the initial pleading to resolution of the matter. She actively participates in all phases of litigation from the inception of a case through resolution, including motion practice, managing e-discovery, taking and defending depositions, expert discovery, and trial preparation.
An important focus of Tracy's practice is prevention through counseling and compliance training. She consults with clients in training management regarding hiring practices, sexual harassment and other employment laws. In addition, she assists employers with developing workplace policies and procedures and preparing and reviewing employment agreements.
Some of Tracy’s notable representations include:
- Defending businesses in litigation involving allegations of breach of contracts, tort and fraud.
- Counseling employers on personnel issues, severance agreements, company policies and procedures and development of company programs such as annual incentive plans to carry out the employer’s business goals.
- Defending an international manufacturer and retailer in a patent infringement dispute.
- Defending the majority shareholder in a closely held corporation in an involuntary dissolution claim.
- Defending dealerships in litigation and administrative hearings before the New Motor Vehicle Board.
- Representing a client in the dissolution of the client’s New York partnership.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Tracy was an associate at an international law firm. She also served as a judicial extern to The Honorable Victoria Kaufman, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Publications & Presentations
- Author, “Excepting Misconduct,” Los Angeles Lawyer, December 2017.
- Presenter, 2019 Arent Fox Employment Conference.
Tracy’s professional and personal philosophy includes giving back in ways that make a meaningful difference in the communities to which she dedicates her practice. She regularly represents parents in the finalization of the adoption of minors from the foster care system. In addition, Tracy has represented the underserved community in housing-related claims and has also represented clients seeking asylum before the Los Angeles Immigration Court.
Other professional activities include:
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Pasadena Bar Association
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Certificate, 2011