Tracy J. Luu-Varnes
From developing successful defense strategies to avoid trial to litigating complex disputes, Tracy counsels clients at every stage of litigation, from filing or answering the initial pleading to resolution of the matter. She actively participates in all phases of litigation from the inception of a case through resolution, including motion practice, managing e-discovery, taking and defending depositions, expert discovery, and trial preparation.
An important focus of Tracy's practice is prevention through counseling and compliance training. Tracy consults with clients in training management regarding hiring practices, sexual harassment and other employment laws. In addition, she assists employers with developing workplace policies and procedures and preparing and reviewing employment agreements.
Some of Tracy’s notable representations include:
- Defending businesses and management in litigation involving allegations of breach of contracts, tort and fraud.
- Defending an international manufacturer and retailer in a patent infringement dispute.
- Defending the majority shareholder in a closely held corporation in an involuntary dissolution claim.
- Defending dealerships in litigation and administrative hearings before the New Motor Vehicle Board.
- Representing a major national bank in responding to a non-public investigation.
- Representing a client in the dissolution of the client’s New York partnership.
- Counseling employers on personnel issues, severance agreements, company policies and procedures and development of company programs such as annual incentive plans to carry out the employer’s business goals.
Tracy’s professional and personal philosophy includes giving back in ways that make a meaningful difference in the community. Tracy has represented pro bono clients in a wide range of issues, including immigration and habitability issues.
Tracy is a member of the firm’s Immigration Initiative, where she represents minors seeking asylum in the U.S. She has also successfully represented a client in an asylum case before the Immigration Court.
Additionally, Tracy regularly represents parents in the adoption of minors, out of the foster care system and into a forever home.
Other professional activities include:
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Pasadena Bar Association
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Certificate, 2011
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Tracy was an associate at an international law firm.
She served as a judicial extern to The Honorable Victoria Kaufman, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Publications & Presentations
Author of “Excepting Misconduct,” Los Angeles Lawyer, December 2017.
Presenter at 2019 Arent Fox Employment Conference (2018 landmark employment cases, updates to sexual harassment laws, and foreseeable trends in employment law).
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of California
Pepperdine University School of LawJDCalifornia State University, FullertonBS,magna cum laude