Yelee Y. Kim
Yelee's practice consists primarily of patent prosecution, patent opinion and transactional work, and patent litigation and post-grant proceedings.
Yelee’s patent prosecution experience includes drafting and prosecuting applications in the fields of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, biotechnology, medical devices, and the mechanical arts. She regularly counsels companies in all aspects of intellectual property, such as patent procurement strategy, patent portfolio management, and trade secrets. Yelee also has significant experience in the preparation of patent validity, freedom-to-operate, and non-infringement opinions; due-diligence analysis for patent licensing and corporate transactions; and various other patent counseling matters, particularly in the areas of pharmaceuticals, including small molecule drugs, drug formulations, drug delivery, and pharmacotherapeutics. Yelee has litigation experience in the areas of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, computer science, and medical devices.
Yelee works closely with domestic and international companies, from startups to large corporations, especially in the areas of pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and dietary supplements, medical devices, cosmetics, software, and sportswear.
While attending law school, Yelee worked as a clinical pharmacist, utilizing her extensive knowledge in the areas of drug discovery, pharmaceutical chemistry, biotechnology, and the therapeutic application of pharmaceuticals. Prior to joining Arent Fox, Yelee was an associate at an intellectual property boutique in New York, where she focused on patent counseling and due diligence analysis in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical arts.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, “Chemical & Life Sciences Year in Review”; 2016
- Co-author, “The Collection and Analysis of 2,3-Dimethyl-2,3-Dinitrobutane Vapor,” American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal; 1998
- "Working with the PTO to Obtain (and Extend) Life Sciences Patents,” 16th ACI Advanced Summit on Life Sciences Patents; February 2018
- “Goodbye Seagate, Hello Halo: Effects of the Evolving Willfulness Standard on Life Sciences Patent Filings,” 15th ACI Advanced Summit on Life Sciences Patents; February 2017
- “Practical Strategies for Dealing with the Ever-Expanding Interpretation of Obviousness-Type Double Patenting,” ACI Advanced Summit on Life Sciences Patents; January 2015
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property: Trade Secrets and Patents,” Personal Care Products Council, Legal and Regulatory Meeting; May 2012