Arent Fox has experience in the full scope of legal matters encountered by companies in all areas of the mobile ecosystem. We help established corporations develop mobile strategies. We work with entrepreneurs in launching their latest venture. We assist mobile content aggregators and content providers in navigating the vagaries of carrier relations, consumer protection, and consumer privacy issues.
We have also advised a variety of industry trade associations on a range of legal and regulatory issues and regularly monitor developments in the legislative and executive branches that impact companies working in this arena.
Our mobile communications skills include:
- Establishing new entities and ensuring continued corporate compliance
- Negotiating strategic alliances and licensing agreements
- Securing venture capital and initiating public offerings
- Counseling regarding entry of commercial companies into government markets
- Assisting in implementing special security agreements, proxy agreements, and other arrangements to mitigate foreign ownership control or influence issues
- Counseling regarding cost reimbursement contracting and cost accounting standards
- Shaping legislation, regulations, and government policy through direct lobbying and coordination with Members of Congress, administration officials, and key staff members
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on legislative and regulatory developments
- Assist in preparation of federal grant, loan, and loan guarantee applications
- Providing advice regarding the use and sharing of electronic medical records, the transmission of health care information by electronic communications, and mHealth
- Counseling regarding the HITECH Act and similar legislation at the state level
- Assisting clients in licensing, contracting, advertising, fraud and abuse, reimbursement, and privacy issues that arise in the mHealth world
- Preparing patent and trademark applications directed to developing products
- Monitoring strength of intellectual property regarding product and assessing protection strategy
- Identify competitor products as possible intellectual property licensing and assertion targets
- Counseling regarding consumer privacy law and regulations
- Representing clients before the FCC and state utility commissions
- Negotiating and litigating against wireless network operators
Arent Fox’s 12-lawyer practice represents smaller carriers and start-ups in negotiations with content providers and disputes with the large telecoms operators and incumbents. Litigation accounts for around 60 percent of the practice and recent cases focused on mobile content and Internet access and net neutrality. Alan Fishel handles all types of telecommunications and technology-related agreements, including a large variety of cloud service agreements. He also successfully represents clients in a wide range of FCC proceedings, and greatly assisted a client in receiving a national infrastructure award with respect to the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program. Stephanie Joyce represented membership organization Computer & Communications Industry Association with advocacy at the FCC supporting net neutrality rules and opposing the merger of AT&T and T-Mobile USA, and counseled VoIP provider Intelepeer on regulatory compliance matters and FCC policy proceedings. Jeffrey Rummel secured a FCC waiver on behalf of Thales Communications, providing greater flexibility for defense manufacturers relating to the manufacture of Guard Band-capable radios that will operate as part of 700 MHz public safety communication systems.