Food & Agribusiness
Managing the needs of food, beverage, and agribusiness companies
The firm is a destination shop for companies operating across the supply chain, including seed and pesticide technology, animal feed, aquaculture, retail, and conventional food and beverage producers. Our work includes National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), and pesticide litigation and counseling, as well as product regulatory work at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), US Department of Agriculture (USDA), and Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Our capabilities are as varied as the sectors we serve – from real estate and intellectual property to food safety and regulatory compliance – we manage the legal, regulatory, legislative, scientific, and business needs of our clients.
- Pesticides, fertilizers, and other crop inputs
- Enzymes, microbials, and plant and animal products of biotechnology, nanotechnology, genome editing, and other emerging technologies
- Seeds and commodity crops
- Packaged food and food ingredients
- Dairy, egg products, beef, pork, and poultry
- Aquaculture, fish, and seafood
- Pet food and treat products
- Animal feed and health products
- Alcohol and non-alcohol beverages
What We Do
- Navigate USDA’s FSIS and APHIS regulations.
- Counsel on Food Safety and Modernization Act requirements and compliance.
- Assist in development of legislative and regulatory initiatives for emerging technologies.
- Advise on pesticides and other agricultural protection products and residue tolerances regulated by the EPA, Codex Alimentarius, FDA, and EU.
- Counsel on compliance with disclosure requirements for bioengineered foods.
- Assist with developing food facility standard operating procedures.
- Advise on alcohol beverage matters, including importation and distribution and licensing and permitting.
- Obtain, enforce, and defend patents related to agricultural and food products and methods of making the same.
Sound advice to help your business thrive
Our Food & Agribusiness team is committed to providing sustainable business solutions from production to post-market. Arent Fox represents manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of foods and food-related products as well as related industry trade associations. Our team counsels clients on food and agriculture transactions, regulatory compliance, product development, legislative initiatives, and patent protection and clearance; participates in USDA, FDA, and EPA rule-making and adjudicatory proceedings; responds to federal and state enforcement efforts; and handles civil and criminal litigation.
Given Arent Fox’s blend of legal, regulatory, legislative, and scientific experience, and our comprehensive and operational understanding of the food and agriculture landscape, we are positioned to help domestic and foreign companies bring their products to market and keep them there.