Arent Fox obtains tax-exempt status for new organizations, represents organizations before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities, negotiates arrangements with for-profit and nonprofit entities in ways that address the unique tax considerations applicable in the arena, and maximizes tax benefits for executives.
Other services include:
- Advising clients on how to avoid the imposition of intermediate sanctions and unrelated business income when entering into transactions with private individuals and other taxable entities
- Advising clients on structuring joint ventures, royalty, affinity and sponsorship agreements, scholarship programs, lobbying and political activity, use of tax-exempt bonds and achieving public charity status
- Providing guidance to clients undergoing IRS audits and conducting mock IRS audits
- Counseling on corporate reorganization of tax-exempt organizations and on cost sharing agreements among exempt and non-exempt organizations and among organizations exempt under different Code provisions
- Advising on campaign finance laws and statutes regulating political activity of nonprofits
- Counseling on planned giving techniques, the use and registration of charitable annuities, and the establishment of testamentary charitable trusts and gifts.