The Arent Fox Tax practice enables our clients to make informed decisions regarding the material tax risks and opportunities presented by their business. Our tax group offers strategies to minimize a particular tax risk and creates alternative transaction structures to accomplish our clients' business objectives.
Each of our tax professionals works closely with practitioners in various corporate and related practice areas (including securities, technology transactions, licensing and finance) to ensure the client an optimal tax result. Our lawyers are experienced in a wide range of corporate tax issues, including joint venture and corporate structuring, section 382 loss limitations, treatment of tax sensitive securities, spin-offs and split-offs, mergers and acquisitions (both taxable and tax-free reorganizations) representing the target company or the purchaser, public offerings and syndications, inbound and outbound structuring, acquisition and disposition planning, like-kind exchanges, historic preservation and investment tax credit opportunities, real estate investment trusts (REITs), tax-exempt financing, tax accounting considerations, and workouts in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Acquisition and Disposition Planning
Tax is an integral part of any business acquisition or disposition. Arent Fox tax attorneys work routinely with practitioners from our real estate, corporate, estate planning and other practice groups to structure business acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures, asset and stock sales/purchases, and business successions. The Arent Fox tax group helps clients understand and manage the tax risks and opportunities revealed during due diligence and coordinates technical expertise with business knowledge to create optimal solutions for our clients.
Arent Fox is well versed in both tax-free and taxable acquisition and disposition planning. For example, Arent Fox has executed like-kind exchanges, partnership and corporate mergers, and property acquisitions for clients. Similarly, Arent Fox has structured “cash out” and taxable acquisitions and dispositions for its clients. Arent Fox has extensive experience with public and private offerings of tax-sensitive securities and the preparation of offering materials.
Representative Corporate Transactions
- Wackenhut Services, Inc.: Represented Wackenhut Services in its acquisition of government contractor RONCO Consulting Corporation.
- Wackenhut Services, Inc.: Represented Wackenhut Services in its acquisition of government contractor Champions of the West (d/b/a All Star International) for $55 million.
- Platinum Solutions, Inc: The sale of Platinum Solutions, Inc. to SRA International, Inc. for $90 million.
- VSE Corporation: Advised VSE through its acquisition of government contractor, Akimeka, LLC for $33 million.
- Globe Specialty Metals, Inc.: Advised Globe Specialty Metals through its acquisition of Ospraie Funds (owner of Core Metals Group, LLC), a producer and marketer of high-purity ferrosilicon and other specialty steel ingredients, for $52 million.
Inbound and Outbound Structuring
Arent Fox’s tax professionals routinely advise clients on the US federal income tax consequences of moving assets and entities both inbound and outbound. We have extensive experience representing both US-based and foreign-based organizations and advise on entry and exit strategies and entity structuring.