The firm will award three first-year law students in our Washington, New York, and Los Angeles offices with the following:
- Scholarship of $15,000
- Position in the 2016 Summer Program
- Opportunity to attend the “Leadership Council on Legal Diversity” Conference for 1L Scholars in Chicago, IL
Arent Fox’s 2016 Summer Program will last for 10 weeks; from May 23 through July 29, 2016. The summer associate salary is $3,000 per week, and the scholarship recipient will receive the $15,000 award in July 2016. All scholarship recipients are expected to participate in the 2016 Summer Program, as well as attend the “Leadership Council on Legal Diversity” Conference for 1L Scholars in Chicago, IL.
- LEAD: We ensure that women continue to serve and be represented on firm wide committees, with the ultimate goal of transitioning into leadership roles.
- DEVELOP: The initiative facilitates mentoring and training opportunities for the retention of Arent Fox’s women lawyers.
- CONNECT: AFWomen creates business development and networking opportunities for our lawyers and their counterparts in the business world.
Women in Focus: Leadership
- Firm Wide | Arent Fox is committed to advancing women into leadership roles. Female partners serve as practice leaders, on the executive committee as well as on the member compensation, associate evaluation, professional development, pro bono, and employment committees.
- In the Industry | Our women lawyers are committed to and recognized by legal and business communities outside of Arent Fox. Our female lawyers have served in leadership roles such as chair of the ABA’s Health Law and Intellectual Property Law Sections, President of the New York State Bar Association, President of the National Association of Women Lawyers, as an executive officer of the Women’s Division of the New York Institute of Credit, Legal Aid Society’s Board of Trustees, and board member of the SF Bar Association Justice & Diversity Center.
- In our Communities | Arent Fox attorneys invest significant time and effort in our community. Nearly 20 of our women lawyers serve in leadership positions for non-legal organizations.
AFWomen by the Numbers
- 37% | of Arent Fox attorneys are women, exceeding the national average of 19%
- 25% | of our partners are women
- 50% | of attorneys promoted to partner firm wide were women over the last decade
Active Engagement: AFWomen’s Programs
AFWomen sponsors programs that exemplifies the initiative’s three pillars, “Lead. Develop. Connect.” Including:
- Constitution Day: Women in Prisons Panel
- The Library Foundation of Los Angeles’s "Homer in Hollywood"
- SF Women Tech Dinner
- Celebration of Influential Women in Business & Law with Renowned DC Chef Ris Lacoste
- Speaker Series: Minority Women in Law
- How Women Approach Business Panelo
- Williams-Sonoma Shop for a Cause Event
AFWomen sponsors the following organizations:
- SABA-DC Public Interest Fellowship
- Corporate Counsel for Women of Color
- Leadership Institute for Women of Color
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- National Women’s Law Center
- Women’s Bar Association
- Women Who Mean Business
Arent Fox proudly welcomes and supports its lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) attorneys, staff, and clients. The firm works hard to remain an industry leader in maintaining an inclusive environment that values and supports LGBT professionals.
OutFox, the firm’s LGBT Initiative, meets regularly to review firm policy, plan professional development events, organize networking and social activities, and discuss pro bono and other charitable-giving opportunities.
By helping to connect LGBT and allied lawyers, paralegals, and alumni, OutFox works to foster a stronger professional and social network within the firm.