Holly Bastian is a partner of the firm and focuses her practice on the preservation of wealth and the transfer of that wealth from generation to generation. For more than 15 years, Holly has developed and implemented creative techniques to meet the objectives of her high net worth clients, who include business owners and executives, real estate developers, and professional athletes. Prior to focusing her practice in estate planning and wealth management, Holly developed extensive experience in the areas of real estate and corporate transactions.
- Recognized by her peers as one of the leading trust and estate attorneys for eight consecutive years in The Best Lawyers in America (2007-2014)
- Recognized in three recent Washingtonian magazine articles featuring top trust and estate lawyers in the DC metropolitan area: "Finding Good Financial Help," January 2009; "Washingtonian's Top Financial Advisors," November 2010; and "They Know Money," November 2012
- Listed among the top estate planning attorneys in the DC metropolitan area by Northern Virginia Magazine (April 2011, September 2012, and September 2013)
- Rated as one of the top women lawyers in the Northeast by Arrive magazine (July/August 2011)
- Awarded the highest peer review rating ("AV Preeminent") from Martindale-Hubbell
Holly implements innovative strategies using the most current techniques available to preserve wealth, minimize taxes, and carry out her clients’ intentions. Her extensive experience includes the following:
- Estate planning and family wealth management, including the preparation of wills and trusts, structuring of life insurance, and planning for retirement benefits
- Estate and trust administration, including post mortem tax planning, valuing and probating estate assets, and preparation of estate tax returns
- Advising individuals and charitable organizations in disputes involving estates and trusts, including will contests
- Cross border estate planning for international clients
- Business succession planning for owners of closely held businesses and their families, including structuring of family limited partnerships and limited liability companies
- Implementation of sophisticated wealth transfer techniques, including sales to grantor trusts, transfers to grantor retained annuity trusts, and transfers to lifetime credit shelter trusts
- Trust decanting, including generation-skipping transfer tax planning and analysis
- Historic preservation and conservation easements
- Charitable planned giving, including the creation of charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts
- Private foundations, including formation, qualification for tax exempt status, and operation
- Representation of fiduciaries in estate tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities.
Before joining Arent Fox in 1993, Holly was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Robert J. Yock of the US Court of Federal Claims.
Holly is an active member of the Washington, DC Estate Planning Council and holds membership in several associations, including the American Bar Association’s Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law and the District of Columbia Bar Association’s Section of Estates, Trusts and Probate Law.
Life Beyond the Law
Holly is an instrument-rated private pilot and flies her own 1991 American General Tiger.