Beth M. Brownstein
Beth represents committees of unsecured creditors and retired employees, secured creditors, indenture trustees, bondholder and noteholder groups, and other entities in bankruptcy reorganization and liquidation proceedings.
Recent representations include:
- Representation of an indenture trustee and/or agents in Gulfport Energy Corp., The Hertz Corporation, Intelsat, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Claires Stores Inc., Cenveo Inc., Vantage Drilling Company, 21st Century Oncology Holdings, Inc., Walter Energy Inc., Dynegy Holdings LLC, Caesars Entertainment Operation Company, and TOUSA, Inc.
- Representation of indenture trustee for $17.5 billion in senior notes issued by Pacific Gas and Electric Company in its chapter 11 proceedings in the Northern District of California resulting from the devastating 2018 and 2019 wildfires. The chapter 111 case involving more than $40 billion in liabilities was the largest and most complex one filed in 2019.
- Representation of post-petition lender in Aerogroup International Inc., Gracious Homes Inc., and New York Crane and Equipment Corp.
- Representation of indenture trustees in enforcement litigation involving Algeco Scottsman Global Financial PLC and Merrimack Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Representation of transportation and midstreamer counterparties in Bonanza Creek, Inc. bankruptcy proceeding
- Representation of indenture trustee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc. et al., involving over $18 billion in debt and in separate litigation against parent Caesars Entertainment Corporation.
- Representation of secured creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of Offshore Group Investment Limited and the related liquidation proceedings of Vantage Drilling Company in the Cayman Islands.
- Representation of creditors' committee in the bankruptcy proceeding of Cengage Learning, Inc. Cengage filed for Chapter 11 protection on July 2, 2013, with approximately $7.5 billion in assets, making it the largest Chapter 11 filing of 2013. Cengage emerged from bankruptcy on March 31, 2014.
- Representation of Official Committee of Retired Employees in Kodak Company bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of creditors’ committee and recovery trust in SS Body Armor I, Inc. f/k/a Point Blank Solutions Inc. and Rock & Republic Enterprises, Inc.
- Represent purchasers of assets pursuant Bankruptcy Code § 363
Immediately prior to joining Arent Fox, Beth served as a law clerk to the Honorable Allan L. Gropper, US Bankruptcy Judge for the Southern District of New York, where she gained experience working on large complex Chapter 11 cases such as General Growth Properties Inc., Lenox Sales Inc., and Lear Corp.
Beth also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Prudence Carter Beatty, US Bankruptcy Judge for the Southern District of New York, where she gained experience working on Chapter 11 cases.
Beth is a member of the UJA-Federation Young Lawyers Division Leadership Committee. She also serves as an ambassador for the Youth Renewal Fund.
Awards & Publications
Beth was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2015.
Her recent publications include:
- Co-author, Why Businesses Should Consider Serving on an Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, July 2018
- “Clarifying TruPS Holders’ Exercise Of Remedial Rights,” Law360; October 2014
Life Beyond the Law
Beth is an avid runner, golfer and sports fan.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
University of Miami School of LawJD,cum laude,2008University of MiamiMBA,cum laude,2008University of MichiganBBA,with honors,2004