Beth M. Brownstein
Beth represents committees of unsecured creditors and retired employees, secured creditors, indenture trustees, bondholder and noteholder groups, and other entities in bankruptcy reorganization and liquidation proceedings.
Recent representations include:
- Representation of an indenture trustee and/or agents in Mallinckrodt plc, Midtown Camps Properties LLC, The Hertz Corporation, Gulfport Energy Corp., Intelsat SA, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, New Cotai, LLC, Trivascular Sales LLC, Claires Stores Inc., Cenveo Inc., Vantage Drilling Company, Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc., 21st Century Oncology Holdings, Inc., Walter Energy Inc., Dynegy Holdings LLC, Caesars Entertainment Operation Company, and TOUSA, Inc.
- Representation of indenture trustee for $17.5 billion in senior notes issued by Pacific Gas and Electric Company in its chapter 11 proceedings in the Northern District of California resulting from the devastating 2018 and 2019 wildfires. The chapter 111 case involving more than $40 billion in liabilities was the largest and most complex one filed in 2019.
- Representation of post-petition lender in Aerogroup International Inc., Gracious Homes Inc., and New York Crane and Equipment Corp.
- Representation of indenture trustees in enforcement litigation involving Algeco Scottsman Global Financial PLC and Merrimack Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Representation of transportation and midstreamer counterparties in Bonanza Creek, Inc. bankruptcy proceeding.
- Representation of indenture trustee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc. et al. and in district court litigation against the parent involving over $18 billion in debt.
- Representation of creditors' committees in chapter 11 cases across industries including cosmetics, oil and gas, manufacturing, publishing, telecommunications, technology and fashion. Notable representations include Cengage Learning, Inc. , a leading educational content, software and services company and textbook publisher, filed with approximately $7.5 billion in assets, SS Body Armor I, Inc. f/k/a Point Blank Solutions Inc., a manufacturer and provider of body armor, bullet and fragmentation and stab resistant apparel and related ballistic accessories, filed with $75 million in liabilities and a former CEO embroiled in civil and criminal liability, resulting in 100 cent distributions to creditors; Glansaol Inc., SDI Solutions, and Rock & Republic Enterprises, Inc., each of which resulted in distributions to unsecured creditors
- Representation of Official Committee of Retired Employees in Eastman Kodak Company bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represent purchasers of assets pursuant Bankruptcy Code § 363
Immediately prior to joining Arent Fox, Beth served as a law clerk to the Honorable Allan L. Gropper, US Bankruptcy Judge for the Southern District of New York, where she gained experience working on large complex Chapter 11 cases such as General Growth Properties Inc., Lenox Sales Inc., and Lear Corp.
Beth is a member of the board of Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Association, a member of the UJA-Federation Young Lawyers Division Leadership Committee. She also serves as an ambassador for the Youth Renewal Fund.
Awards, Presentations & Publications
Beth was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2015.
- Panelist, "Chief Judges Roundtable & Networking Virtual Event", New York Institute of Credit, March 2021
Her recent publications include:
- Co-author, Why Businesses Should Consider Serving on an Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, July 2018
- “Clarifying TruPS Holders’ Exercise Of Remedial Rights,” Law360; October 2014
Life Beyond the Law
Beth is an avid runner, golfer and sports fan.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
University of Miami School of LawJD,cum laude,2008University of MiamiMBA,cum laude,2008University of MichiganBBA,with honors,2004