Diversity & Inclusion
At Arent Fox, we believe that excellence and diversity go hand in hand.
Diversity produces different perspectives, richer thinking, and more creative solutions to the challenges our clients face. Our firm is committed to seeking and retaining a diverse group of attorneys and staff.
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee is led by our Director of Diversity & Inclusion, Alison Bygrave, and includes leaders from across the firm. The Committee’s goal is to help recruit, retain, and promote diverse attorneys while ensuring that adequate firm resources are dedicated to their training, mentoring, and business development efforts.
43% Promotion In 2021, 43% of our associates promoted to partner firmwide were women. Since 2001, nearly 50% of associates promoted to partner firmwide were women.
34% Women Women lawyers represent 34% of Arent Fox attorneys, including 29% of partners.
22% Minority Lawyers Minority lawyers represent 22% of the firm’s attorneys, exceeding the national average.
50% Summer Associates Since 2006, the firm’s summer associate classes have been composed of nearly 50% minority and LGBTQ law students.
A Perfect Score Arent Fox has consistently earned a perfect score of 100 in the Corporate Equality Index by the Human Rights Campaign.
Arent Fox maintains a strong commitment to diversity and strives to create a workplace that embraces different perspectives and cultures. Our goal is to ensure that we continue to foster values of inclusion and respect. The Arent Fox Minority Attorneys Group’s mission is to mentor and support minority and diverse attorneys in critical areas such as career and client development, pro bono initiatives, and promotion and retention. We hope that by engendering a sense of community for all of our attorneys we will cultivate a long-term commitment to a fulfilling career at Arent Fox.
Arent Fox’s women’s initiative focuses on developing and supporting women’s leadership and advancement throughout the firm and across industries. We explore and address the many ways in which gender can impact one’s career trajectory, and strive to create a culture that incorporates all perspectives and experiences through business development training, mentoring, sponsorship, and a supportive internal network. Understanding that a law firm’s success depends on making opportunities equally accessible to all, we foster and maintain an inclusive community that promotes growth, retention, and wellbeing for our attorneys, our staff, and our clients.
Parent Fox is a collaborative group which comes together to unabashedly talk about their kids and parenting. The group has created a community which fosters support at Arent Fox for all parent figures by discussing and sharing resources regarding childcare, work-life balance, and other parenting issues. The group is open to Arent Fox attorney mothers, fathers, other very vested relatives of kids, guardians and those who think they might one day like to be parents.
OutFox is a diverse affinity group designed to connect Arent Fox’ s LGBTQ lawyers and alumni to address challenges and opportunities that are unique to their community. OutFox fosters a stronger professional and social network both within the firm and also throughout the legal community. The group meets periodically for social and networking events, raises awareness of LGBTQ-related issues or opportunities with the firm to reach solutions and garner firm support, and works to recruit and integrate diverse talent.
Arent Fox will begin recruiting for its annual Diversity Scholarship Program this Fall. The BOS, DC, LA, NY, and SF offices will each award one second-year law student $20,000 and a salaried position. The scholarship will be paid in two installments: $10,000 during the second-year summer and another $10,000 payable when the student returns to Arent Fox as an associate after graduation.
The Firm will accept applications on a rolling basis for the 2021 program this Fall. Candidates may only apply to one office. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Arent Fox LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- Second-year law student, in good standing, at an ABA-accredited law school in the US
- Scheduled to graduate in 2022
- Excellent college and law school academic performance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, work experience, and community involvement
- Authorized to work in the US
- Member of a diverse population that historically has been underrepresented in the legal profession
- Must join the 2021 Arent Fox Summer Program after their second year of law school
- Have a strong interest in joining the Firm as an associate after law school graduation
Required Applications Materials
- Completed electronic Diversity Scholarship Application (you can only apply to one office)
- Personal Essay (one page single or double spaced): How will you be Smart in Arent Fox’s World?
- Undergraduate Transcript (unofficial is accepted)
- Law School Transcript
- Legal Writing Sample (5-10 pages, single or double spaced). Must be exclusively your own work. The sample may be from your legal writing course in law school.
- Contact information of three professional or academic references. (Letters of recommendation are optional.)
Please contact our Attorney Recruitment Department: