Nancy J. Puleo
Nancy’s counseling extends the full range of employment law issues from hiring to firing, performance management, investigations, wage and hour issues, leaves of absence and the accommodations process, and reductions in force. She also drafts employee handbooks, employment agreements, including non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and severance agreements.
Nancy’s employment practice includes representing clients in state and federal court and administrative agencies in discrimination and retaliation claims, wage and hour violations, and common law employment torts. Nancy also conducts harassment and discrimination prevention training for the firm’s clients. Two growing areas of her practice are advising employers on issues involving employees’ social media activities and working with emerging companies on developing and implementing their employment practices. Her clients operate nationally and regionally in numerous industries, including retail, technology, security, health care, human services, and traditional manufacturing settings.
Nancy’s health care practice primarily involves defending professionals against complaints before licensing boards, including, but not limited to, the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Psychologists, the Board of Registration of Social Workers, the Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professionals, and the New Hampshire Board of Psychologists. She also advises mental health professionals regarding ethical and risk management issues. She has represented over 200 mental health professionals in Board complaints and professional consultations.
Nancy is co-counsel to the National Association of Social Workers, Massachusetts Chapter and co-authors an “Ask Our Attorney” column for the National Association of Social Workers, Massachusetts Chapter, Social Work Voice newsletter. Nancy was previously a Partner at Posternak Blankstein & Lund LLP.
- Successfully moved to dismiss federal court litigation alleging violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Represented employers in audits and investigations by the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General, Fair Labor Division and U.S. Department of Labor.
- Represented a national employer in “John Doe” litigation against a former employee who anonymously posted defamatory comments and disclosed confidential information on Twitter, including successfully identifying the former employee through discovery.
- Defended employers in class action lawsuits arising out of the Massachusetts Wage Act and federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Obtained numerous lack of probable cause findings in discrimination and retaliation claims pending before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights, and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Successfully negotiated employment and severance agreements for executives at some of the country’s leading companies.
- Represented employees and employers in non-competition and non-solicitation matters.
- Represented over 200 mental health professionals in licensing board complaints and professional consultations.
Awards & Recognition
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer in 2017 and 2018
- “Top Female Attorney in Massachusetts” in 2016 by Super Lawyers
- “Top Woman of Law” in 2015 by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer – Rising Star every year from 2009 – 2015
- Boston Bar Association, Section on Labor and Employment
- Dana-Farber Leadership Counsel, Member
- Read to a Child, Boston Regional Board of Directors, Member
Life Beyond the Law
Nancy is a foodie, voracious reader, animal lover (especially bulldogs), enjoys shoe shopping, documentaries, and her favorite place, Nantucket.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
- Connecticut Bar
- New Hampshire Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts
- US District Court, District of New Hampshire
Suffolk University Law SchoolJD,cum laude,2000Boston UniversityBA,cum laude,1997