M. Scott Peeler
Scott specializes in all aspects of white-collar criminal defense and has extensive experience handling complex civil litigation and global corporate compliance. He currently serves as the government-appointed Independent Consultant for Crédit Agricole, one of the world’s largest financial institutions.
After a highly competitive selection process, Scott was named the Independent Consultant for Crédit Agricole by the New York State Department of Financial Services. This appointment occurred following Crédit Agricole’s settlement with DFS, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Reserve, the U.S. Department of Treasury, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. Scott’s independent consultancy focuses primarily on Crédit Agricole’s compliance with Anti-Money Laundering, Bank Secrecy Act and OFAC statutes and regulations.
In addition to his integrity monitorships, Scott regularly advises corporate executives and some of the largest and most profitable corporations in the world on all aspects of white-collar and complex civil litigation, government investigations and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the UK Bribery Act and other local and international anti-corruption laws. He frequently leads Fortune 50 companies in the development and implementation of anti-corruption compliance programs tailored to meet and exceed relevant industry and legal standards.
A few of Scott’s representative matters include:
- Drafting and implementing global third party due diligence protocols for a Fortune 50 information technology corporation.
- Assessing the global risk profile and the application of various international anti-corruption laws for one of the largest and most profitable companies in the world.
- Winning an acquittal for the CFO of a major, publicly-traded healthcare company charged with conspiring to commit securities fraud following a jury trial in the Western District of Oklahoma.
- Leading an FCPA due diligence associated with an acquisition of a target company in the Middle East by a multinational Fortune 500 energy corporation.
- Advising numerous boards of directors on FCPA and other white-collar issues.
- Designing mobile application to assess third party risk and provide corresponding due diligence action items for a Fortune 50 multinational conglomerate.
- Overseeing a team of 80 litigators in connection with the representation of a large multinational Fortune 500 corporation in an FCPA investigation spanning Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Europe.
- Authoring "gold-standard" global anti-corruption policies for multiple Fortune 50 and 500 companies.
- Conducting hundreds of anti-corruption training sessions for multiple clients’ employees and higher risk third parties around the globe and in multiple languages.
- Leading an internal investigation and successfully negotiating a favorable resolution for a global manufacturing company with the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice.
- Conducting internal investigations and successful negotiations for multiple clients with matters before the New York State Attorney General's Office.
Scott was previously the Managing Director in charge of Compliance at Stroz Friedberg, a global consulting and technology firm specializing in digital risk management and investigations. There he designed and created “Navigator,” an industry-first compliance application for smartphones and tablets. Scott also served as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office under Robert Morgenthau. During his tenure, he handled criminal matters and major felony prosecutions in cases involving economic fraud, coercion, violent crime, narcotics trafficking and conspiracy to commit murder. Scott also previously worked for Procter and Gamble.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Scott has appeared as a commentator on national news programs and has been quoted in the New York Times on criminal matters of national importance. He is widely considered an expert on anti-corruption, speaking to thousands of people around the globe each year.
Scott also served as a Member and the Secretary of the New York State Bar Association’s Task Force on Wrongful Convictions. This Task Force, comprised of many of New York’s finest judges, prosecutors, defense counsel and legal scholars, issued its final report and recommended important and substantive changes to New York State’s criminal justice system. The Task Force’s Final Report, adopted unanimously by the New York State Bar Association, can be found here.
Life Beyond the Law
Scott is the proud father of two children. He teaches courses in Anti-Corruption and Global Compliance at Fordham Law School and will serve on the Vestry at Calvary-St. George’s Episcopal Church this year. Scott and his family also endow and manage a major scholarship at the University of North Carolina’s School of Education.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
University of North CarolinaJD,Invitational Moot Court Team, Semi-Finalist - National First Amendment Competition,1997University of North CarolinaBA,1993