Cristina A. Carvalho
Cristina oversees an international practice that encompasses commercial transactions, intellectual property, licensing, and technology for leading US and foreign companies. She is admitted to practice law in the United States and Brazil.
Among her clients, Cristina represents Mars, Incorporated and its affiliates in intellectual property, commercial transactions, and technology matters in connection with their chocolate, pet care, food, drinks, and symbioscience segments. She also advises major Brazilian companies in technology, commercial, licensing, and intellectual property related matters in the United States and abroad. Those clients include Petrobras, one of the largest oil, gas, and energy companies in the world, Editora Abril, one of the largest publishing companies in Latin America, and several large clothing, shoe, and fashion accessories companies. She has also managed the intellectual property portfolios of celebrities and sports figures, including soccer legend Pelé and late Formula 1 pilot Ayrton Senna.
Widely recognized as a leading attorney in the food and beverage industries, Cristina has extensive experience in domestic and foreign trademark prosecution and disputes. Christina also supervises associates and paralegals in managing international trademark portfolios for major clients. She regularly counsels clients concerning the selection and adoption of trademarks, how to build and enhance rights in brands, and international enforcement strategies.
She has assisted clients in multimillion-dollar transactions involving the acquisition and divestiture of intellectual property portfolios. She is skilled in drafting and reviewing domestic and foreign license agreements involving trademarks and copyrights. Cristina also advises clients in trademark infringement, unfair competition, and copyright litigation throughout the United States, domain name dispute resolution proceedings, and opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Before joining Arent Fox in April 1997, Cristina practiced intellectual property law in New York City, where she managed domestic and foreign trademark portfolios for leading financial services companies, toy and sportswear manufacturers, and book publishers. She was also involved in trademark and copyright litigation, as well as in trademark proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board for significant alcohol, spirits, and beer companies.
While attending law school in Brazil, Cristina clerked for the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office (INPI), where she drafted decisions and opinions in trademark registration appeals and opposition and cancellation proceedings. Following graduation from law school in 1985, she practiced intellectual property law for seven years in Brazil, where she was extensively involved in all aspects of technology transactions, licensing, and intellectual property protection and enforcement for North American, South American, and European clients.
Cristina currently holds membership in the International Trademark Association (INTA), the Brazilian Association for Intellectual Property (ABPI), and MARQUES, among others.
Cristina currently holds a seat on the Advisory Board of Transforming Women’s Leadership in the Law (TWLL), a Thomson Reuters board.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Honored as one of Washington, DC’s ‘Most Powerful Women’ by Washingtonian magazine in 2017 and 2019.
- Speaker, 2019 Women’s Power Summit, April 2019
- Recognized with the Washington Business Journal’s 2018 Women Who Mean Business award.
- Named a 2017 ‘Star of the Bar’ by the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
- Recognized as a leading trademark attorney by World Trademark Review in 2016, 2017, and 2019. WTR notes, “Carvalho’s nuanced international expertise is a primary weapon in her diverse arsenal; she is especially talented when it comes to prosecution and transactional mandates that cross over into Latin America.”
- Recognized as a top lawyer in “Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers” by Latinvex, 2016 - 2019
- Recognized as a leading IP practitioner in “IP Stars” published by Managing Intellectual Property, 2013-2020
- Recognized as a leading female IP practitioner in “IP Stars - Top 250 Women in IP” published by Managing Intellectual Property, 2013-2021
- “Ain’t I a Woman: Intersectionality and the Workplace,” speaker, 2018 Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference, October 2018
- “Steering A New Ship: Women’s Rise to Leadership in Law Firms,” speaker, Transforming Women’s Leadership in the Law (TWLL) 2018 Rising Stars Event, July 2018
- “Women in the Legal Profession: The Un-Shattered Glass Ceiling,” speaker, A Women’s Bar Association and the International Bar Association Event, April 2018
- “Women in Business Law,” speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association Annual Meeting, October 2016
- “It’s Never Too Soon to Start Building Your Business,” panelist, AFNY Fox Talks, New York, October 2015
- “Latinas in the Legal Profession,” speaker, Los Angeles, September 2016
- “Trademarks and Consumer Protection,” speaker, International Trademark Association Annual Meeting, May 2015
- “Restrictions in Advertising and Use of Trademarks in Regulated Industries,” speaker, Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (ABPI) Annual Meeting, São Paulo, Brazil, August 2014
- “Innovation, Branding, and Technology - Tips for Developing and Protecting Tangible Assets,” speaker, In-House Counsel Seminar in São Paulo, Brazil, March 2014
- “Intellectual Property Protection in Brazil,” speaker, Medical Device Summit - Brazil: The Med Tech Market, October 29, 2013
- “How to Litigate Abroad - Strategies for In-House Counsel,” speaker, In-House Counsel Seminar in São Paulo, Brazil, September 2013
- “Legal Strategies For Managing a Global Portfolio of Sports Brands,” speaker and moderator, Sports Lawyers Association, Atlanta, May 2013
- “Intellectual Property Strategies to Enhance Competitiveness - Brazil, USA, and Europe - Perspectives, Opportunities and Challenges,” speaker, In-House Counsel Seminar at BM&A in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2013
Life Beyond the Law
Cristina is a native Portuguese speaker and is fluent in Spanish.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Brazil Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center),MIP,1993Federal Univ. of Rio de Janeiro, National School of Law,LLB,1985