Jacob S. Zodieru
He is a registered patent attorney who specializes in patent prosecution and client counseling in the software, mechanical and electrical arts. Jacob also has experience in trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, and litigation.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Jacob was an attorney at a boutique intellectual property firm.
Prior to attending law school, Jacob was a software engineer for National Security Technologies (NSTec) in Las Vegas, a subcontractor for the US Department of Energy.
Jacob is a co-chair of the Young Lawyers Committee of the Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association and previously served on the Board of Directors for Southwestern Law School's Nickel Club.
While at Southwestern Law School, he served as Vice President of the Intellectual Property Law Society and Treasurer of the Entertainment and Sports Law Society.
Publications, Presentations, and Recognitions
Jacob’s published articles include:
- "Learning the Lingo - Attorneys Interested in Intellectual Property Law," American Bar Association’s The Young Lawyer Magazine
Jacob’s presentations include:
- “Tips for Making Yourself an Indispensable Member of a Litigation Team,” Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, October 19, 2017 (moderator)
- “Alice & the Tiger Mom: A Scandalous Story of Post–Grant Patent and Trademark Proceedings,” The Judge Paul R. Michel Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, November 19, 2015 (panelist)
- “Diverse Careers in IP and Strategies for Success,” Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association, October 20, 2015 (moderator)
While at Southwestern Law School, Jacob received a CALI “Excellence for the Future” Award in patent law, and was recognized as an Honorable Mention Oralist for the 2011 Intramural Moot Court Competition.
In addition, while pursuing his undergraduate studies, Jacob received a Second Place Award for designing and presenting an "Automatic License Plate Recognition System" in the UNLV Electrical and Computer Engineering Senior Design Competition. He was also recognized as a finalist in formulating and presenting a business plan for a novel social networking application in the 2009 Donald W. Reynolds Governor’s Cup Business Plan Competition in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Life Beyond the Law
Jacob was a scholastic tournament chess player and currently enjoys playing casual games. He also enjoys reading fantasy novels.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
Southwestern University School of LawJDUniversity of Nevada, Las VegasBS,(computer engineering), magna cum laude