Taniel E. Anderson
As a nuclear engineer with years of hands-on experience, Tan has broad technical experience in electrical, mechanical, nuclear, chemical, and systems engineering.
Tan has represented clients in matters involving a variety of technologies in courts throughout the country. At trial, Tan’s experience ranges from pharmaceutical products to bulk welding wire. He has successfully litigated and tried cases in US District Courts, the US International Trade Commission, state courts, and the OSH Review Commission.
Tan’s patent litigation experience has included all phases of litigation, including counseling, pleadings, discovery, experts, hearings, trials, and appeals. Tan also has experience representing petroleum refineries in PSM compliance, NEP inspections, and RMP-DOJ enforcement, among other areas. His language skills have allowed him to communicate directly with personnel at a Brazilian-owned refinery in Portuguese. Tan successfully represented a client charged with violating a nuclear export-control statute in a criminal case.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Tan was an intern for the Honorable Wallace W. Dixon, Middle District of North Carolina (2008 – 2009) and the Honorable J. Douglas McCullough, North Carolina Court of Appeals (2008).
Before law school, Tan served as a nuclear submarine officer aboard the USS Nevada, where he completed five strategic-deterrent patrols. During his service, Tan gained experience in the operation, maintenance, and overhaul of complex technical systems, including nuclear power generation, steam power, hydraulics, compressed air, chemistry, radiation, and electrical power generation and distribution.
Tan is a member of the Pro Bono Committee.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “Intellectual Property Protection: The Value of Patents, Trademarks & Copyrights to Your Business” How to Prepare: Veterans Venture Bootcamp; Washington, DC; October 2013
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2014-2018)
Life Beyond the Law
Tan is a native Portuguese speaker.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- South Carolina Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Court of International Trade
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of South Carolina
University of North Carolina School of LawJD,high honors,2009Duke UniversityBA,2001