Jake is an Associate in Arent Fox’s Complex Litigation group. Jake helps clients across a broad spectrum of industries understand and navigate complex federal, state, and local regulations to achieve their business goals. He has extensive experience representing clients in federal courts across the country, as well as in California state courts and in mediation and arbitration proceedings, in litigation involving business and contract disputes; intellectual property infringement actions; and trade secret misappropriation claims. Jake also counsels clients in responding to civil investigative demands from federal agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and in complying with enterprise-wide investigations.
Jake’s selected significant matters include:
- obtaining spoliation sanctions, attorney’s fees, and a forensic audit against a competitor of an international nutritional supplement company in an action to enforce a multi-million dollar settlement agreement;
- advising a telecommunications service provider and a cannabis point-of-sale technology company in responding to FTC civil investigative demands;
- securing an honorable discharge for a Chinese-American military intelligence officer accused of misrepresenting or withholding security clearance information;
- advising major rideshare, food and item delivery services, and political technology clients on regulatory, election law, and lobbying compliance;
- pursuing claims against the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act on behalf of an immigrant family that was separated at the southern US border;
- representing amici children’s organizations in opposing the Trump Administration’s final administrative rule seeking to terminate the Flores settlement agreement;
- counseling Chinese-American clients accused of federal grant fraud, espionage-related offenses, and wire and mail fraud;
- advising a top-ten national bank through its investigation by the CFPB;
- representing one of the nation’s largest credit unions in a bi-furcated multi-million dollar contract licensing litigation and arbitration in the Eastern District of Virginia and before the American Arbitration Association; and
- conducting an on-site enterprise-wide investigation of one of the world's largest financial institutions as part of a settlement with the New York Department of Financial Services and Department of Justice.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Jake interned at the Administrative Conference of the United States and in the chambers of the Hon. Reggie B. Walton of the US District Court for the District of Columbia. In law school, Jake represented criminal defendants as a student attorney in the American University Criminal Justice Clinic. He also taught a year-long Youth Justice course at a DC high school as a Marshall-Brennan Fellow and served as an Integrated Curriculum Dean’s Fellow. Jake was a Summer Associate at Arent Fox in 2015.
Prior to law school, Jake worked as an Admission Counselor for a Big Ten university.
Jake is an active member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and is the Vice-Chair of the Associates’ Committee. In addition, Jake is a member of the following organizations:
- American Bar Association
- LGBT Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- University of Iowa GOLD Leadership Group
Publications, Presentations and Recognitions
- “No Free Ride for AllRide: Northern District of California Issues Case-Ending Spoliation Sanctions,” The Recorder, May 13, 2020
- “US Supreme Court Case Demonstrates Trump Administration's CFPB Blessing,” The Recorder, April 15, 2020
- “Stolen Info is Not Trade Secret if it Can Be Reverse Engineered,” Bloomberg Law’s Insights, July 16, 2018
- “Can a healthcare plan dictate where a medical provider may sue it?,” Becker's Hospital Review, August 31, 2017
Life Beyond the Law
A proud native of Iowa, Jake looks forward to returning home to visit friends and family and to cheer on the Hawkeye football team. His interests include trying new recipes, photography, and exploring and learning about new countries and cultures.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
American University, Washington College of LawJD,cum laude,2016The University of IowaBA,German with Honors,2010