Robert J. Ernest
Bob has over 20 years of experience in the logistics, transportation, and customs brokerage industry, both international and domestic, with an expertise in managing a diverse range of corporate and regulatory issues, including complex commercial agreements, labor and employment matters, import/export regulatory issues, global trade compliance and investigations, aviation and maritime regulatory matters, and traditional legal and insurance matters.
Bob provides legal and business counsel to parties to throughout the supply chain, including importers and exporters of goods, international freight forwarders, customs house brokers, motor carriers, property brokers, warehouse operators, and the like.
Before joining Arent Fox, Bob was general counsel of the Americas region of The Panalpina Group, a Swiss-based global transportation and logistics provider. As an executive team member at Panalpina, Bob was deeply involved in company strategy and provided legal, business, and risk management advice to C-level decision makers. From a functional perspective, Bob established and implemented a robust trade regulation compliance program, with a focus on customs and import compliance, export controls and economic sanctions, and transportation security measures. In addition, Bob directed all phases of affirmative and defensive litigation matters at Panalpina, including multi-million dollar commercial disputes with customers and actions by individual claimants. Prior to his role at Panalpina, Bob served as Corporate Counsel – North America for Kuehne + Nagel Inc., another market leader in the international freight forwarding industry, and as an attorney for the Federal Aviation Administration.
Publications, Presentations and Recognitions
Bob's presentations include:
- “Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) Webinar,” National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America, Inc., April 7, 2020
- “COVID-19 Global Trade Webinar Series: Financial Programs Under the CARES Act,” Massachusetts Export Center, April 9, 2020
- “Incoterms© 2020,” The John H. Chafee Center for International Business, Bryant University, Smithfield, Rhode Island, March 3, 2020
- “Cargo Insurance: Transferring the Risk,” 2020 AirCargo Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, January 26 - 28, 2020
- “Changes in the logistic environment – consequences for the international supply chain, trade, and customs,” IBA International Sales and Distribution Conference: digital operations – manufacturing, supply chains and transportation in a digital environment, Hamburg, Germany, November 13 - 14, 2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
- Connecticut Bar
Suffolk University Law SchoolJD,cum laude,1998University of MassachusettsBA,magna cum laude,1995